Best VBA sites for looping code?

Discussion in 'App Development' started by Cat88, Aug 19, 2018.

1. Cat88

Cat88

Hi there,

I need some help to improve my testing ability. I have End of Day excel price (OHLC) and volume data which I often need to check an idea by comparing historical examples which are similar.

Part of what I want to do is declare yesterday and today's OHLC data as variables and then add a condition (e.g. "if yesterday's close is < today's open" then "print value of the closing price in 60 trading sessions time")

I've tried using stack overflow however cannot seem to get it quite right. I thought maybe someone has experience building this type of looping request and provide an example which can get me over the hump.

thanks

2. Peter8519

Peter8519

I assume the following.
    1. Date,O,H,L,C,V EOD data is in Sheet1.
    2. First row is for label.
    3. Sort data from oldest to newest.
    4. Output to Sheet2.

Sub Scan()

Dim i As Integer, j As Integer, k As Integer
    Dim total_row As Integer, output_ptr As Integer

' Delete output in Sheet2
    If ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet2").Cells(1, 1) <> "" Then
    output_ptr = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet2").Cells(1, Columns.Count).End(xlToLeft).Column
    For i = 1 To output_ptr
    ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet2").Columns(i).EntireColumn.Clear
    Next i
    End If

' EOD Data from yahoo finance and store in Sheet1
    ' Sort data from oldest to newest
    ' Store output to Sheet2

output_ptr = 1
    total_row = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1").Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row 'Get total row of EOD data
    ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1").Activate
    ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A1:G" & total_row).Sort key1:=Range("A1"), Order1:=xlAscending, Header:=xlYes

For i = 2 To total_row
    If ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1").Cells(i, 5) < ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1").Cells(i + 1, 5) Then
    ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet2").Cells(1, output_ptr) = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1").Cells(i + 1, 1) 'Date to first row of Sheet2
    ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet2").Cells(1, output_ptr).NumberFormat = "mm/dd/yyyy" 'Format cell to date format
    k = 2
    For j = i + 1 To i + 60
    ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet2").Cells(k, output_ptr) = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1").Cells(j, 5) 'Copy Close data to Sheet2
    k = k + 1
    If j > total_row Then 'Get out if hit end of data
    Exit For
    End If
    Next j
    output_ptr = output_ptr + 1 'Increment output index
    End If
    Next i

End Sub

Cat88 likes this.
  3. Cat88

Cat88

Thank you very much for the detailed reply @Peter8519 it will take me a little while to work through your text and then I will reply. Thanks again.