Best US State to Trade from?

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by ajau, Apr 24, 2006.

1. I live in upstate NY and I love it. Near Albany(not Westchester which really isn't "upstate").
    No special tax breaks..but there's always something to do.
    First off, you must not be afraid of cold weather for a few months a year. IN Jan/Feb it can get down to zero F.

You like to ski/snowboard? We got it! 3-4 mountains within 1.5hours drive. Another 5 or so within 2.5hr drive.

You like golf? Ok, everyone's got that.

You like hiking, mountain climbing, rock climbing, mountain biking and other outdoor activity. Well, we've got the Adirondacks one hour north. We've got the Green MTNs in Vermont and the Berkshires in Mass.

Plenty of Lakes and rivers for water sports.

You like the city? Ok, we're 2hr drive or train from Manhattan. We're 2hours from Boston and about 3.5hrs from Montreal.

Home prices are very reasonable.

You like horse racing? Yeah, we have Saratoga from late July until early September. And let me tell you, it's a damn good time.

Maybe I should run for Mayor? :)

#21     Apr 24, 2006
  2. An altered state :D

#22     Apr 24, 2006
  3. Schaefer

Schaefer

Most of the action is around the RTH which is EST. I'm sticking to Central or North-northwest Florida. Half an hour drive would get you to almost any amenities one could think of. I'm in South Florida right now and it's quickly becoming a zoo, an expensive zoo I might add.

Happy trading :)

#23     Apr 24, 2006
  4. Agyar

Agyar

I've lived in both and they are pretty similar I think. It isn't really the amount of rain that's a problem. The problem is, you can go months without seeing the sun in the wintertime (in both Seattle and Portland). Even though it might only rain a few inches per month. The only big difference in the weather is that Portland is usually a little warmer. And it can vary alot depending on which areas of Seattle and Portland you are comparing as there are some different microclimates in each area.

From late spring to early fall, though, you can't beat the Northwest weather IMO. Beautiful.

#24     Apr 24, 2006
  5. Agyar

Agyar

I actually grew up in NW Florida, so I'll comment on that too. :)

If I could handle the humidity (which I can't) I would put Destin Florida on my list of places I might live. I haven't been back in a few years but it was a pretty nice place a few years ago and I understand it is improvlng. "Improving" doesn't always make a place better though, if you know what I mean. Worth a visit I'd say. If you don't mind the occassional hurricane/tornado that might wash your house and everything you own into the ocean.

#25     Apr 24, 2006
  6. Thanks for the reply. That is good to know. It interesting that Vancouver BC go rated as the best place to live in North America. I mention it because having been there I believe the weather is similar to Seattle. I guess some folks don't mind the lack of sunshine.

#26     Apr 24, 2006
  7. Agyar

Agyar

I kinda like the overcast weather myself. Makes me not feel guilty for sitting in front of the computer 12 hours a day trading/studying. And the wife and I usually end up going to California and/or Hawaii sometime in the dead of winter, so that breaks up the monotony.

#27     Apr 24, 2006
  8. ajau

ajau

#28     Apr 24, 2006
  9. "Alive" = unsafe for kids? We'll have better metro planning when we realize that a slight sense of endangerment is really a negative thing - not a positive.

#29     Apr 24, 2006
  10. Having everyone live in gated communities is not necessarily safer.

#30     Apr 24, 2006