best type of orders?

Discussion in 'Options' started by Baozi, Dec 18, 2019.

1. Baozi

Baozi

Hi people,

I would like to know what types of orders are you using for your trade, and which one works best in different market conditions.

For slow markets I always do limit price, targeting mid or a bit closer if against the trend.

The real problem, however, is a fast market: FOK? FAK? Matching the offer? Any advice is appreciated.

2. maxinger

maxinger

I do day trading. I use various types ( stop order , limit order, market order)

Let's say my view of the market is up.
    And I want confirmation that price is going up, I'd use stop order (at higher price).

when market is very hot, and millions of traders around the world are desperate to enter position, I'd chase after the market and use market order at whatever price.
    In this case, must enter very fast !

when market is sluggish jerky spiky with lots of whipsaw, I'd use limit order, and let the price comes to me.

murray t turtle likes this.
  3. traider

traider

How do you reduce slippage for stop orders when market is moving

4. maxinger

maxinger

You were talking about my stop order.
    slippage is virtually none.

about my Market order.
    When the whole world is trying to trade, traffic will be very heavy.
    at times, there might be few seconds time lag on my trading platform,
    or few minutes time lag on my charting software.
    This is where slippage could be very terrible.
    occassionally I might get a good fill.
    if time lag is bad, I would avoid trading.
    anyway when market is moving extremely fast / violent, our brain CPU might not be
    able to process those info fast enough.

Those who trade in trading house should see less of such problem.

murray t turtle likes this.
  5. schizo

schizo

Well, you really should know where to get in and out BEFORE you place the trade, regardless of whether the market is slow or fast. As such, there's really no reason to use any orders other than Limit (for enter and exit) and Stop (for stop loss).

VPhantom and tommcginnis like this.
  6. You can be impatient and use market orders.

Or, you can be more patient. Use limit orders and hope to get passively filled. Use dynamic trading algos that adjust to what is happening in the market. I trade slowly enough that I allow my algo the entire day to get a fill.

Which is best? It depends on: what size you are trading, what your holding period is, what kind of strategy you are running, and how important costs are to your trading strategy.

If your holding period is really short, then you'll probably need to use market orders so you don't have to wait for a fill. Waiting a minute for a fill when your holding period is only two minutes.

If your holding period is longer you can be patient.

If your strategy is mean reverting, and has a concept of a fair value/buy point and sell point; then you can place limit orders around the fair value and let the market come to you.

If your trade is a stop loss you can't afford to be patient. Get out. Now. Use market orders.

If you are trading in size you will need to be more patient, as the inside spread won't usually cope with your volume. You will need to avoid hitting the market with a sequence of trades that will push the price away from you.

If costs are a big proportion of your expected profits, then you need to screw down your slippage as much as possible. You need to be patient.

Of course, sometimes these are in conflict with each other. If you are trading a short term (impatient) trend following (impatient) strategy in large size (patience is better) it is likely to be very expensive to trade. It is not a question of which order you should use, but more a question of whether you should be trading at all.

So the following is true:
    • Slow trend following strategies should be traded patiently with execution tactics that primarily use limit orders. The tactics of larger traders will need to be more sophisticated.
    • Mean reverting strategies can be traded patiently, by placing limit orders around fair value. In smaller size these can be very tightly bound and trade very frequently (essentially market making), assuming commissions are not too big. Ocassionally they will get burned, and have to use an expensive stop loss to get out. Larger traders may want to camoflage their full size by not putting it all in the book at once, or spreading their orders further into the market depth. They can't trade as quickly.
    • Fast trend following strategies will need to be impatient, submit market orders, and pay the spread. This is an expensive business. Few small traders will have the alpha to make it pay, and no large traders will.

GAT

VPhantom and tommcginnis like this.
  7. d08

d08

That's just not true. Slow and fast markets are very different, when you want to enter a popular level then you want to send MKT and choose routing carefully (differences are significant), putting a limit means you will never get anything. Personally I prefer algo orders that are split into smaller parts. Also, typically stop orders are just market orders, nothing else.

8. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

Personally, I stopped trading markets like you describe many years ago. No reason to walk in like The Black Knight, crying "Whut! It's jus' a *flesh* wound!" and then expect to make a profit.

VPhantom and murray t turtle like this.
  9. %%
    That;
    +Fed days seem to lag more. Including focus on a few+ many times you can guess, the way its going because of trends.[ Faster countertrends + early morning + last half hour tend to be wilder/reversals , for sure.
    Nice liquid/ nice volume stuff helps. NOT sure this would apply to options. But this is a trading/investing rule of IBD + mine .Never quibble over a quarter + miss the move.

maxinger likes this.
  10. d08

d08

I'm just talking about how market conditions relate to orders, not saying that's how you should trade. It applies to everyone that if you enter with a stop limit, set the limit close to some breakout level, you will only get the ones that don't move or fake out - the real breakouts will escape from you and those are the ones you want.

#10     Dec 19, 2019
    VPhantom likes this.