Best trendy futures

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by Trader_Herry, Aug 13, 2006.

1. If, as Cheese said, you're looking for intraday volatility, along with being a slightly forgiving market, your best bet would be to go the YM route.

NQ will also give you good moves.

The e-mini russell ERU on my data feed, also known as ER2 will give you a lot of what you call one-way trendiness, but if you are not carefull it can also chop your account to pieces pretty quickly.

I don't have much experience with the foreign indices, however based on what Red Duke has said in this post and the past, their performance will pretty much mirror their US counterpart(s).

The energy markets (QM specifically) will also trend pretty well, but you'll have to develop good methodologies to trade them by.

While Bitstream is in essence correct about the S&P/ES indices, if you pull up the financial charts (ES/NQ/YM) and observe them on an intra-day basis for a period of a month you will see that for all intents and purposes they pretty much trend/trade in lock-step with each other. ERU does not necessarily display this attribute.

Best,

Jimmy

#11     Aug 13, 2006
  2. What is a car a clip? I've been trading for a few years now, but I never nothing called a car a clip? We call them lots or points? Car a clip? I've read about 30 daytrading books so far and they never mentioned cars or clips. What is it?

#12     Aug 13, 2006
  3. I think it is just analogy. :D

Imagine how much 50 cars is worth, and you are going to buy and sell 50 cars every day in S&P. :p

#13     Aug 13, 2006
  4. Pretty much agree with you.

Unless you have a large capital to take advantage of ES, this market is not good.

I wonder if it applies to YM (Dow Jones) and NQ (NASDAQ) as well, since they have high co-efficients - the markets are choppy - does not run smooth intraday trends.

#14     Aug 13, 2006
  5. Thanks for your valuable information.

That's good.
    The reason why I would like this is I don't need to go in and out frequently. The ranging game is weary. I need to spend multi-fold efforts to get the same reward as catching 1 trend. Don't you agree?

How large is the intraday trend, in terms of points or US dollar?

There are 2 main oil contracts - light sweet crude oil (big and mini [CL & QM]) and brent crude oil [BC]. There are also other (similar) too, like heating oil.

CL, QM, BC...
    They should move in pairs by logic.
    I'm not sure if it is the same as US index futures where mini is better than original.

If BC and QM has more or less the same one-way trend, it seems BC is better since each tick earns more money.

ES is said to be the worst market [probably very choppy and suitable more for scalpers or short-term daytraders, rather than trend followers or momentum traders]

If 3 markets move very similarly (eg 80% similarity), they are going to move in the same fashion - choppy and rough movements - requires more in and out to gain well. Do I get it right?

Who is likely to lead others? Who is likely to lag all behind?

NQ seems to be quite liquid (but far worse than ES). But how about Dow-Jones (YM)? As liquid as NQ? How many orders per tick on average?

#15     Aug 13, 2006
  6. Good list.
    Well done!

Do you know where the person get this list - his own work or other third party source?

What's the criteria of the measurement and ranking (if available. Otherwise forget it)?

It's surprising to see Emini S&P 500 [61] is much worse than S&P 500 (original) [52], but it may be wrong since we don't know the difference between [52] and [61].

I can't find mini-Dow Jones.

"2. Nikkei Index"
    Since it has been traded in several markts, not sure which market it is talking about - CME (USD or JPY), SGX, or OSE?

Will that be any difference between CME(USD) and CME(JPY) [I mean to ask for the trading and pattern differences]?

What is:
    1. Mini Value Line
    4. Short Sterling (short[?] the currency futures - GBP sterling?)

#16     Aug 13, 2006
  7. RedDuke

RedDuke

Bluegreen,

When I said 30 cars a clip, I meant trading 30 contracts every time.

redduke

#17     Aug 13, 2006
  8. Lucrum

Lucrum

I just copied the list from one of acrary's posts. You may be able to determine is methodology (for the list) from doing a search of his posts.

#18     Aug 13, 2006
  9. Cheese

Cheese

No.
    There are no short cuts.
    You're already find it weary getting into this game.
    :)

#19     Aug 13, 2006
  10. But picking a good market is never mant to be a shortcut, buddy. :D

You still need to know how to grasp them.

#20     Aug 16, 2006