Best trading platform for IB excluding TWS

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Zohaibmajeed, Jan 5, 2019.

1. How I can get free ToS with real time data? Do I need to open account with TD Ameritrade?

#31     Jan 6, 2019
  2. kmiklas

kmiklas

Bloomberg :)

#32     Jan 6, 2019
    apdxyk likes this.
  3. @qlai - You can use a 3rd party platform for connecting to both IB and TD Ameritrade datafeed. no need to use TOS.

@Zohaibmajeed - As @Grulstmarnn mentioned, Medved Trader would not be able to get true tick data from IB datafeed, however you could use IB for execution while using a different datafeed. for example, can use IQFeed or QuoteMedia for the tick data which would show every trade. As for your question about TOS and free data, yes, you would need to open a TD Ameritrade account. Not sure if you can do that, but easy enough to try.

#33     Jan 6, 2019
    Zohaibmajeed likes this.
  4. Just as an additional information, although it should be needless to say, if you use IB for execution it is strongly recommended to subscribe to live data in IB for any asset you intend to execute. Datafeeds vary because it depends on the sourcing of such data. Executing blind is a recipe for disaster. My point being, if you use a separate data feed for data intelligence/analytics one would have to potentially subscribe and pay live data feed fees twice, once at IB and another time to iqfeed or whatever data provider is chosen.

#34     Jan 6, 2019
    Zohaibmajeed likes this.
  5. I believe you can use sterling with IB. At least that was the case about 2 years ago.

#35     Jan 6, 2019
  6. I contacted Sterling but they are not offering their platform for individual IB traders

#36     Jan 7, 2019
  7. You might actually be able to see all trades in times and sales in IB's latest version of TWS.

1) Make sure you are subscribed to live data for all the exchanges for which you want Times&Sales (if stock), for futures its just one exchange generally.

2) Make sure you installed the newest TWS version, please let me know which version you currently run.

3) Go to Configure -> Information Tools -> Times & Sales -> Settings, and make sure the box "Always use real-time volume to approximate Times and Sales data" is UNticked. Then click on "Apply" and also click on "File -> Save Settings" and potentially even restart your TWS. This should get you to see tick by tick times and sales. Try it out and report back please

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    #37     Jan 7, 2019
    Zohaibmajeed likes this.
  8. So, @Zohaibmajeed , what are you expecting to see which the below are not displaying?

upload_2019-1-7_23-16-16.png

upload_2019-1-7_23-16-55.png

#38     Jan 7, 2019
  9. I want to see all trades not consolidated view it shows. I don't want to see in blocks. If you right click on time & sales and then go to last option and select display all that is what I want in live mode too

#39     Jan 7, 2019
  10. Unless you can describe in more detail what exactly is missing in the data it is hard to help you. Look at the below screenshots and compare, the first is the live screenshot, the second the historical. How are they different? Take a look at the size that was traded, all the trades match between the two different modes. There may be some tiny differences but it has to do with the fact that I do not subscribe to all US stock exchanges so I won't see all trades in live mode that I can see in the historical look back.

upload_2019-1-7_23-53-56.png

upload_2019-1-7_23-54-31.png

#40     Jan 7, 2019