Best trading books that nobody has heard of ?

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by prox, Jun 10, 2003.

1. Hello Michael:
    Its 1:29 here and I can't sleep so I will comment on the books.
    I found the Market Profile concept an effective one, if you have the inclination (and time) to get over the learning curve with it. At least for me, it took a while to get comfortable with the chart system. Ultimately I did not see a great advantage (perhaps I did not stick with it long enough) and am going back to a more conventional framework.
    The "Phantom of the Pits" by Art Simpson is hard to read because Art is not a very concise writer. It rambles all around and you really have to want to get the message. I found it interesting (for reasons unknown to me) and kept with it, and eventually learned a couple of important lessons about managing my intraday positions, and how to recover from drawdowns for instance.
    Books by George Taylor and Schabaker were suggested by Linda Raschke quite a while ago. Taylors book is difficult to read again because he is not a good writer. Actual concepts are not difficult to understand. Schabaker is known by many, and his view of TA is not revolutionary but can be of help to some.
    Cottle is good but a dry read. His writing is methodical and plodding but he covers the material and if you can stay awake you will eventually have a better understanding of how a good options trader thinks. In actuallity, the best options text I have ever read (assuming you have your basic tools in place) is "The Busines of Options" by Marty O'Connell. Marty has a business in Chicago that trains options market makers and in my opinion, he knows how to write in a way that makes this dry subject interesting. You have to have a good understanding of the subject to begin with however. Hope these comments are of help to all posters. Good luck in the Markets, Steve46

#41     Feb 23, 2004
  2. I was thinking of Etzkorn's book...I can't sleep either, but am going back in bed and try again...

Thanks for the comments...

Michael B.

#42     Feb 23, 2004
  3. After seeing all your posts, I'll stick with ET. :D

nononsense

#43     Feb 27, 2004