Best time of day to trade?

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by jwcapital, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Is it best to place trades during open outcry (8:20 AM to 1:30 PM EST ) or close of regular trading hours (3:30 PM to 4:00 PM EST) or some other time? I use CME GLOBEX as my means. Exploring expanding my universe of futures trading. GC futures specifically. Appreciate the comments.

2. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

It's very simple.

Backtest your trade method to determine when it's the most profitable and use that info as the "best time to trade"...seriously.

Mark

3. I used to trade the s&p 500 emini and futures options. I always traded at the close (3:45-4:15 PM EST), for I wanted "all of the votes to be in before I cast my vote." Of course, the bulk of the volume for the emini was between 9:30 and 4:15. I see that the bulk of the trading for the GC is 8:20 to 1:30 PM EST (open outcry hours). I guess I am asking if I want to cast my vote last, should I be placing a trade at 2:30 or is it OK to place a trade between 3:30 and 4:00PM? Just trying to follow my same logic and I want your opinion. Your answer makes sense, but I am not a daytrader. I am considering using options, for that is what I used when I traded the s&p 500 emini.