Best Thing for U.S. Economy: Raise Taxes

Discussion in 'Politics' started by jamis359, Jun 10, 2007.

1. AMEN!!

The best thing for the US Economy is for more people to learn how to spend money more wisely. The American Dream is to spend money you don't have to buy shit you don't need to impress people you don't like. If more people understood how to get compound interest on their side, we'd be better off. Instead we need to put 20s on our '97 Impalas and have Navigation Systems in our Honda Civics, and holes and tears in our faded Holister jeans, ohhhh and $25/month in text messaging fees.

*sigh*

#31     Jun 11, 2007
  2. Not at all,

A. Americans are obese b/c of many reason...im not going to get in detail but summarize...food is very cheap here..avg US citzen spends only 11% on food from their budget lowest in any nation...this is due to capitalism....more food for less money...

B. You are Canadian which would not understand Americans.....just like I won't understand Canadians or French people.... sorry I had to put it in there...

C. Wha I hear form my cousins fiancee is that you have to wait a year to get an MRI in the great north.

D. The employer can raise their prices all they want...it dos not matter b/c markets will deterrmine the price of te product..and not individuals like is communism....market determine price in capitalism...

I would like to discuss, this further but I am of to college....I am taking summer classes...in Political Science..interesting stuff...have to debate against my liberal teacher on same issues.

#32     Jun 11, 2007
  3. bluud

bluud

Increasing taxes also reduces consumer spending ... the major source of tax is collected by the circulation of money ... not just by income alone.

For instance you work for joe ... joe pays you $50 an hour ... you give $16 for taxes ... now you are left with $34 ... you go buy a DSL modem for $34 from Worst Buy ... Worst Buy then has to pay the Gov $5 tax on the profit and at the same time you have paid $3 tax while purchasing the DSL modem ... Now let's say that the remaining $26 is full profit for Worst Buy ... Worst Buy then gives that $26 to an employee for 3 hours of work ... the employee pays $8 on taxes ... then comes to joe's company and buys a dildo with the remaining money ($18) ... she pays $2.50 taxes on her purchase ... joe pays $6 tax for profit on the sale of the dildo ... the remaining money is now $9.50 ... but joe has to pay you $50 right ... what happened to the $50 he had started with in the first place ... no one took it for themselves ... well it all went into taxes

why???? ... because of circulation ... the gov charges the circulation of money ... and on the other hand americans are really good spenders ... so why spoil such a well running system by increasing taxes

#33     Jun 11, 2007
  4. gnome

gnome

Capitalism... (heavy sigh)... too bad we lost it.

Neither the Republiclowns nor Democraps should be in office... our only hope is someone like Ron Paul, Libertarian.

Unfortunately, most American's are only concerned about their own Gummint cheese.

#34     Jun 11, 2007
  5. When you're strung out on 12 different medications you'll lose contact with this rather simplistic reality/common sense. Well, common sense isn't very common these days.. The Money Masters LOVE it this way.. We don't have to think for ourselves anymore.... That means.. YOU TOO!! SO STOP THINKING NOW!!!.. lol.. j/p

#35     Jun 11, 2007
  6. Joab

Joab

Brilliant post but it isn't going to happen anytime soon.

#36     Jun 11, 2007
  7. BSAM

BSAM

If the founders of the country were here today, they would either be looking for another place to live or they would be planning another revolution. Most likely the latter. They were folks of vision and liberty.

#37     Jun 11, 2007
  8. Daal

Daal

the old 'we need more taxes as a long im not the one being taxed'. love it, believe me if you were to win the lotery tomorrow your 'opinion' would change pretty quickly, its human nature. taxes measured by anyone with a half brain are pretty high

#38     Jun 11, 2007
  9. heh... I like money. I also deal with facts first, simplistic theories second. I also accept facts even if I don't understand why they are true.

It is an indisputable fact that during the Clinton years incomes, jobs, the strength of the dollar, the price of gasoline and the overall economy was better than it is now. So let's go back to the policies we had then. It is obvious that big tax cuts to the uber-rich and corporations do not stimulate the economy as well as the free market advocates say. If the economy hums along with the top tax rate at 38%, then pay the tax and be happy with the better economy and make more money elsewhere to offset the tax increase.

I suspect the reason the economy did better at higher tax rates is that the government turns around and spends it, increasing the velocity of money, stimulating the private sector. Giving tax cuts to the rich is less efficient since it tends to sit in private accounts and does not trickle down very well (hedge funds -- your tax cuts at work?).

#39     Jun 11, 2007
  10. Let's not forget a couple of other key factors for the Clinton success, and yes I liked Clinton.

1. Fiscal responsibility.
    2. The dot com run up.

#40     Jun 11, 2007