Best Tax set-up for Futures trader???

Discussion in 'Taxes and Accounting' started by T.A.P, Jan 30, 2007.

1. lwlee

lwlee

brandon12,

Yes, I saw the thread about the new ib's sched d. Traders are loving it.

My problem with just including a note is that I don't think it's sufficient enough to prevent an audit. I plan to write off every possible deduction that I can think of, ie rent, utilities. Everything that is as legitimate as possible in order to see if it's possible to get some retro NOL refund. I want something that when the IRS sees it, they won't bother even contacting me. One thought was sending the IRS a copy of IB's monthly statements. That would definitely prove I was trading full time.

#21     Feb 1, 2007
  2. Everything is the same as if you were living in the U.S.

Make sure you fill out that IRS change of address form. :cool:

However, if you begin paying taxes as a resident or citizen (dual citizenship) of another country...find yourself a decent U.S. tax accountant because of potential dual (double) taxation problem.

Most likely the IRS will allow an equal credit for tax paid in another country.

Also, because your going to be living abroad...you have an automatic extension on filing your income tax return.

The tax accountant can be very helpful expecially if you buy property, home, car et cetera in the foreign country, get married to a non U.S. citizen and/or have children that are not U.S. citizens.

Essentially you have dependents and your financially supporting them...the paperwork and rules gets too messy if you try to figure it out on your own as a Futures trader that trades fulltime.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/06/27/AR2006062701022.html

Mark

#22     Feb 1, 2007