Best sports for traders

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Optionpro007, Sep 12, 2005.

1. r-in

r-in

Other than flying, I also do weight train, and hit the treadmill and exercise bike. Also trying to get the kids into rock climbing as it's one of those things I did in college, but would like to get back to and share with the kids.

#41     Sep 12, 2005
  2. There are no sports that i know of that can match lead climbing. Even if you can get your buddy or girlfriend to belay, a top rope climb will set you straight as an arrow. I wish i had more time to climb. I'll be up in New Hampshire next week if anyone gets out that far.

People get bent out of shape when they get out of shape. My thought on this is to put food on the table first and worry about your health and exercise second. Of course it's a generalization but i think most can relate.

#42     Sep 12, 2005
  3. I know climbing is a great sport, I have respect for climbers but no sport, except maybe gymnastics/acrobatics, can be generalized to be the best.
    Do whatever you enjoy, whatever makes you feel like you're having fun instead of exercising. For me it's boxing/kickboxing/martials arts which is most of my cardio. Yet the 5-10 minutes on the treadmill feels like most of my work cause I hate running. I do weights & calisthetics also, which are like an addiction. I get my best workouts when I get to go rounds with someone in the ring since I go for a long time due to the enjoyment factor.

Disagree. No amount of money will ever recover your physical & mental health. Food on the table is important, because it is part of maintaining a functioning organism. As for money first, health second, just take a look at the I-bankers falling apart in their later years.

#43     Sep 13, 2005
  4. I agree. Food on the table is important, however, without health the food on the table means nothing.

I think no sport/hobbies best suites us as traders, in contrast the personality in us demands a specific type of sport/hobbies that creates a sense of purpose, in turn it makes us a better trader. I know I trade better when I know i have a sense of purpose.

That's just me though!

#44     Sep 13, 2005
  5. I used to fly competitive F3A aerobatics many moons ago (RC aerobatics). No G forces on yours truly flying a precision model, but all the rest (focus, precision, etc). Building, finishing the model, installation (engine, controls, radio gear), and hours of trimming, not to mention many hours and gallons of fuel spent perfecting maneuvers + the comp days. Great fun, but really time consuming.

For fitness, running and the Mattress Mambo! :D

#45     Sep 13, 2005
  6. omniscient

omniscient Guest

boxing - there's a lot more to it than just slugging away at a face or a punching bag.

ross (http://www.rossboxing.com/thegym.html) has some great material if you are new to the sport, or even if you aren't. he's also a super nice guy who responds to emails.

boxing is competitive even without sparring/fighting. the training is very different from other sports.

MA is probably very similar.

hth

take care -

omni

BTW: i think picking a sport/activity is probably a lot like trading - you'll have to find out what does it for you.

#46     Sep 13, 2005
  7. volente_00

volente_00

Golf
    Billards
    Softball
    weightlifting

I like the golf analogy to trading. Sometimes you have to play it safe but every now and then you have to let the big dog eat.

#47     Sep 13, 2005
  8. Having security and peace of mind financially comes first in this household, and fiduciary responsibilities to partners. Everything else falls into place. This is the way i live. The is not the same as saying that money comes before health and relationships. No need for cliches` here.

I find climbing to be superior in every aspect to gymnastics, boxing, and weightlifting however i'll train in each to get better at climbing.

#48     Sep 13, 2005
  9. Ebo

Ebo

I am a drummer, I keep my kit adjacent to my trading desk for that mid day urge.

#49     Sep 13, 2005
  10. I keep my yard in pristine shape between my trades. Get a good workout, save money, make money, and the neighbors love it! Like to see results from any workout.

#50     Sep 20, 2005