best sports car for around $30K

Discussion in 'Politics' started by bigbeech, Feb 11, 2004.

1. I only have about 4,000 miles on it, and have had no problems. It is a sportscar, has a stiff ride, and you can hear the road, but no specific problems/noise with the front tires.
    I frequent a 350Z web board and have heard nothing about this. The only major complaint is that the premium Bose soundsystem is not that great. It is fine for a normal listener, but it could be better.
    I am thinking of getting the Nismo exhaust so I can just listen to that all day :)

#11     Feb 11, 2004
  2. Automobile Magazine, March 2004 Issue

Four Seasons Test on 350Z

Quote:

"Although the chunky steering column stalks, the orange-lite instruments, and the cloth upholstered seats were praised, the plastics and other interior trim were only so-so in quality, and two seemingly minor fault's realy grated on everyone's nerves. First, was the passenger's-side seatbelt, which, when unused, banged and rattled incessantly against the B-pillar. Second, was a retractable lid on the upper half of the center console, which hides a storage bin in those 350Z's, such as our vehicle, not equipped with the optional navigation system. Clearly a design and production aftermarket thought, this flimsy piece of plastic, about five inches square, had absolutely no dampoing and less structural rigidity than the door of a Fisher-Price barn, and it didn't even let out a "moo" when you opened it."

(fixes for both problems, as well as about a dozen other minor cabin tweaks, were implemented for the 2004 model year).

"The new Z-car is not as light and lithe as the Mazda RX-8, nor is it as refined as the BMW 3-Series coupes, or as raw as the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution, but it undeniably fulfills its mission, and, as the 240Z did in its time, the 350Z can hold its own with Corvettes and Porsches."

- - - Funny, the first thing that I thought of when climbing into a 2004 Mazda RX-8 is that it reminded me of the old 240Z's back in the 70's!

#12     Feb 11, 2004
  3. Auto Week, Feb. 9th, 2004

Long Term Test on 350Z, Page 15:

"A staffer noted one of the great joys of driving the car --- listening to the sweet song of its 3.5 liter V6 --- had been lost because of the din caused by the tires."

"We're not alone in experiencing the tire problem. Z owners across the country have noted the same thing, forcing NIssan to issue a service bulletin saying the suspension design/geometry of some models is causing the inside of the tires to wear in a choppy fashion. Once the tire wear begins, so does the noise. The more miles accumulated, the louder the noise gets."

"Nissan wasn't able to tell us how many cars are experiencing this problem and are local dealer's service department was instructed to reduce toe-in as much as possible and then rotate the tires."

#13     Feb 11, 2004
  4. I praise Nissan for finally getting back on track with their designs.
    I just cant pass over a WRX with 4wd and 300hp.
    It just seems alot more fun for the money.
    or maybe the evo 7

any thoughts?

#14     Feb 11, 2004
  5. I just loved the look and feel of the Z over the others. The interior is not the same quality as a Porsche, but the $ was spent on performance, which is why it will hang with a Boxter for near 1/2 the price.

As far as the tires go, I will keep an ear out. I actually spend more time looking at modifications on the websites, then hunting for problems :)

I was looking at a used nitrous kit for $600 that will give me 150 more horsepower. I think I am trying got recapture my youth. 30 is coming this year....
    AAAHHH!!

#15     Feb 11, 2004
  6. I praise Nissan for finally getting back on track with their designs.
    I just cant pass over a WRX with 4wd and 300hp.
    It just seems alot more fun for the money.
    or maybe the evo 7

any thoughts?

#16     Feb 11, 2004
  7. Mitsu 3000GT VR-4 3.0 liter DOHC 24-valve twin turbo charged V6 engine which produces an incredible 320 horsepower and does 0-60 mph in a very impressive 4.8 seconds.
    all wheel steer (positive low speeds, parallel high speeds for ONE AMAZING HANDLING)
    All wheel drive 60/40 power distr.

All at reasonable price back in the 90's they don't make it anymore

edit
    check the spyder version:D first hardtop retractable in it's class

#17     Feb 11, 2004
  8. did I happen to mention that I really like the MazdaSpeed version of the RX-8 in the March issue of Road & Track?

:D

#18     Feb 11, 2004
  9. nitro, my post specifically said 'used' Corvette Z06.

-Fast

#19     Feb 11, 2004
  10. $600 isn't that great a deal for a nitrous kit. Was it wet or dry? Also, I would not push a 150shot on a 350z. 75 shot would be OK tho, IMHO. One of my friends just bought a 350Z last week and I took it out for an hour drive....definitely a fun car! Post some pics :D

-Fast

#20     Feb 11, 2004