Best software/program for backtesting?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by IronFist, May 17, 2007.

1. I found some backtesting stuff at stockfetcher.com but I could only play around with their free features a bit. Is it worth subscribing to?

What's the best (and cheapest) backtesting software? Can you test on daily candles or intraday candles as well?

2. KenL

KenL

Well, stockfetcher is primarily a technical screening tool with backtesting capablities.

Stockfetcher is probably the cheapest at less than 9 bucks a month and might be the easiers to use too. Bottom line is I'm making money with it. Isn't that what counts ultimately? Can you make money with whatever you're going to use?

3. FBW

FBW

The stockfetcher's standard subscription only allows you to backtest up to 4 months. That is a little short. You can’t really beat 9 bucks though.

4. Yeah I was thinking about trying the one that lets you do 2 years, but that's still not that much time.

And it doesn't do intraday candles does it?

With stockfetcher, how do you test a specific stock? I couldn't figure that out.

5. KenL

KenL

Stockfetcher let's you backtest a single stock by creating a watchlist with the stock and create a Filter and start with "apply to watchlist(mystocks)"

You can backtesting going back 5 years in 2 year periods.

Go to the stockfetcher forum and all answers to all your questions will be found there.

6. RonD

RonD

If you I looking for inexpensive back testing software, you should consider Trend Engines SysGen. It is available for less than $100 and you do not have to pay any monthly fees. Stock prices are available free from yahoo.com, and are not time-limited. At this time the system is capable of doing more than five separate moving averages at a time, price channels and Bollinger bands. Check it out at www.trendengines.com.

7. One of the things that seems good about stockfetcher.com is that they have a ton of indicators.

I think I'm gonna go with a one month subscription and see how I like it.

I would also like to find some software that will test intraday data, and where you can specify the duration of the candlesticks, so I could test some intraday strategies.

8. Some other free alternatives could be: Pro-realtime and Ninjatrader.

9. You can use the wealth-lab.com website for free.....