Best software platform for execution

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by sammybea, Feb 5, 2022.

1. ZBZB

ZBZB

IB does not lag as it is snapshot datafeed to the user. Every tick data feeds lag when it is busy. The feed into IB server is tick by tick so the stops held at IB should go off when you think they should.

#11     Feb 6, 2022
  2. sammybea

sammybea

That’s helpful ZBZB. Thank you.

#12     Feb 6, 2022
  3. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

You do not consider that a lag with todays fast moving futures? Position trading, I guess not. Scalping?

#13     Feb 6, 2022
  4. ZBZB

ZBZB

A few years ago there used to be complaints by people on tick by tick data feeds that when the market was busy there pc locked up. Snapshot data feeds x times per second did not have that problem and people could trade in busy markets. Now everybody has much more powerful computers and servers I have not heard that complaint.

#14     Feb 6, 2022
  5. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

I know you are a IB hardcore loyal customer. I respect that. I'm not suggesting that sammybea switch to Lightspeed or you. I'm saying that I would prefer Live Streaming data, that you refer to as tick data, if I were an active trader. CQG provides that. So does TT, Rithmic, T4, CME Direct, and most other dedicated Futures software. We offer CQG and so do the other futures brokers at the bottom of the page. Worth a look for someone looking for a change.

#15     Feb 6, 2022
  6. ZBZB

ZBZB

#16     Feb 6, 2022
  7. def

def Sponsor

#17     Feb 6, 2022
  8. mikeriley

mikeriley

I don't use a lot of charting bells & whistles nor the Dom either. My platform for futures is Tradovate. I've yet to test any platform that can beat their low fees/margin criteria.
    Though most days I trade over night, execution has always been fast and I've never had issues.
    (knocks on wood)

Test their simulation, and you might like the experience.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2022
    #18     Feb 7, 2022
  9. IMHO, you should not worry about these tiny details. IB feed is more than sufficient and suitable to trade with any meaningful frequency and meaningful stop management. Rather, worry more about the trading methodology: one tick more or less is not going to mean anything in the grand scheme of things, if the general approach doesn't work, and the same thing, if it works.

#19     Feb 16, 2022
  10. I was also using IB´s data for stocks and futures in motivewave, quantower and medvedtrader and noticed that due to they are snapshot based you see differences to data in TOS and TWS because the snapshot data in motivewave dont´t get corrected to the true values. That means the snap shot data could not contain all price movements in a specific time frame. As i know in TWS directly and in TOS the data get corrected. I know sierrachart also has a kind of auto correction. To get a chart with the correct data you have to refresh your charts from time to time in motivewave.

#20     Feb 17, 2022