Best software platform for execution

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by sammybea, Feb 5, 2022.

1. sammybea

sammybea

Planning on opening an IB account for futures specifically. I know there has been a lot of talk about Ninjatrader, Sierra, etc as a front end platform. What are people using if they are only looking for the cleanest, most reliable front end for execution purposes. I don't care about the charting software and Dom is not a requirement.

fullautotrading likes this.
  2. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

3. sammybea

sammybea

Thanks Robert, does Lightspeed offer a front end platform to IB, or is it a competitor to IB only?

4. ZBZB

ZBZB

5. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

For futures, no. Only LVX works for our clients with custody at IB. The majority of our Business by far is at Wedbush Securities and wedbush futures.

6. sammybea

sammybea

I continue to hear about IB data lagging other feeds. Does anyone know what this actually means? Another words, if I had a stop market for the ES (residing on IB's servers) would this mean it would get triggered later than another broker potentially? Or is the lag purely on my screen. My plan is to use a third party front end, like the ones suggested above, to access IB for futures.

7. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

I guess it is software dependent but the CME will hold stop and stop limit orders on their server.

8. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

Maybe you should consider a futures broker that offers future software and has a futures focus. You might see a difference, or not. Hard for me to judge the speed, reliability, and margin consistency for your broker versus using CQG or CQG routing and data for your Sierra charts.

9. ZBZB

ZBZB

It is a snapshot datafeed every x milisexonds not every tick. This means it will work when the market is very busy and other feeds are lagging. Your stops are on the CME server are they not?

fullautotrading likes this.
  10. sammybea

sammybea

I thought stops were held on the broker's server and only stop limit's are held on Globex. So if IB is lagging in a fast market, it makes me believe that a market stop would trigger later than it should, and that would give me more slippage than potentially another broker? However if a market stop is held at Globex, than obviously there would be no third party issue. I don't know which is true.

#10     Feb 6, 2022