Best Remote Options-Focused Prop Firm...

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by Vol Guy, Aug 9, 2012.

1. sle

sle

Something along these lines
    a. buy put options on the portfolio/index for 1 year, 10%-12% OTM
    b. sell call options on the single names for 1 month, 5%-7% OTM
    c. keep rolling (b) over every month for a few months and then liquidate (a)

The strategy is pretty involved and requires either some very smart ways of picking the single names or having very low execution costs on the single name vols. However, there are variations that can certainly be done on the retail level, requiring tame amounts of capital (e.g. $50-$150k) that would produce very nice ROC with a reasonable Sharpe ratio and low draw-downs.

#11     Aug 12, 2012
  2. Vol Guy

Vol Guy

Well, I probably have more thoughts on the responses so far. But my observation is either that I am incredibly naive to believe the prop firms want to help me if I can help them. And that some people on these boards are less cynical than average and would like to be helpful answers. Some already have been. For those that have not, you know who you are.

For those that having nothing helpful to say, do me the favor of saying nothing at all. You guys know the difference.

#12     Aug 12, 2012
  3. LEAPup

LEAPup

Just a matter of time IMO before the fed raises reg t requirements... Pretty scary out here these days.

#13     Aug 12, 2012
  4. 1245

I think the SEC should not raise the requirement from $100k. Let's let the brokers manage risk. There is no benefit to the public to over regulate this. Most prime brokers require $5m that offer PM. Some allow PM with $1m and very few under $250k. Only a handful of online brokers have lower requirements and most of them clear Apex. Apex allows it because the correspondent puts up a security deposit to cover losses.

#14     Aug 12, 2012
  5. max1950

max1950

another option is to just lease a cboe seat, really cheap now and find a local clearing firm , trade remote lower commision and lower margins, better haircut rates

#15     Aug 13, 2012
  6. 1245

That would require starting your own broker dealer or joining one. The over head is quite high. You need an automated system to send out your quotes and a small infrustructure to be compliant with FINRA and SEC regs. it's not a place for small local traders any more. My best guess is a monthly over head of $10k before you do a trade.

#16     Aug 13, 2012
  7. Any delta hedging involved? Just let the calls expire or roll before that?

Ballpark for the ROC if this is done properly?

#17     Aug 14, 2012
  8. Vol Guy

Vol Guy

Here's my thought. Sell expensive IV puts on cheap stocks (or ones that have recently been clobbered - but are basing). Create a deversified portfolio of these things (20 or 30 positions), and hedge them with long index puts. There could be several ways to do this, and I am not wed to any one strategy. If say, each put that is sold is a 25 to 35 delta, than the overall delta of portfolio is roughly half of that (it would be nice to have some decent anaytics to go with the strategy).

So my first comment of this being a reverse dispersion strategy isn't accurate. I figure 35% unlevered is possible, and double that is possible with 2:1 leverage. More than that is questionable. Remember that the risk in the strategy is really basis risk, as hopefully market risk has been adequately taken care of.

#18     Aug 14, 2012
  9. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

I think your return target unlevered (meaning all short puts are cash secured) are too high. Also have you considered the pnl volatility of a strategy like this and whether it would be suitable for a prop shop? Generally these types of strategies have sharpes closer to 1.

#19     Aug 14, 2012
  10. sle

sle

It is a form of reverse dispersion, no question about. I know people who do this sort of stuff, even. The return target looks totally unrealistic, I think your cash returns are going to be around 5-7% p/a and on average you are going to outperform in a selloff (assuming you are buying index vega and selling street gamma).

#20     Aug 14, 2012