Best realtime feeds? Need a fresh VOTE!

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by axeman, Mar 29, 2004.

1. Think your standard api can beat Realtick, a tier 1 provider
    without an extra unknown cost for their standard api?

peace

axeman

#31     Mar 30, 2004
  2. FeedDemon

FeedDemon

Yes. Absolutely. I think, actually I know, that we can compete with Realtick both in service and in price. Again, if you are interested in the Standard or Control API, feel free to call discuss your project and business goals.

#32     Mar 30, 2004
  3. Turok

Turok

Well, there you go Axeman. The challenge it ON.

JB

#33     Mar 30, 2004
  4. alanm

alanm

FeedDemon: Is the limitation of 200 symbols actually related to the bandwidth required to feed 200 active stocks during the day, or is it something else. Can I watch more symbols than that if they are relatively quiet, volume-wise?

A recent study that I did showed that someone who watches just the inside market (i.e. L1) for MSFT and QQQ during regular trading hours used more bandwidth than the ~500 tickers I want to watch during extended hours.

#34     Mar 30, 2004
  5. FeedDemon

FeedDemon

It is actually because we are making out-of-process calls (rather than in-process) to our DLL, which causes overhead and sucks CPU resources. Yes, lower volume symbols would allow for a larger number of symbols to capture. A multi-processor machine would also allow for more symbols to be used without bogging down too much.

The symbol limit is actually determined by the type of service subscribed to.

Basic = 100
    Premier = 200
    Standard = 500

#35     Mar 30, 2004
  6. Are you saying that it takes a dual processor machine to process 500 symbols ?

#36     Mar 31, 2004
  7. I would like to know the following:

As a esignal subscriber I would like to accomplish the following:

Given I subscribe to market depth, can I use the API feature to have the best 5 bids and offers of the eminis stream real time into Excel (or a VB.Net application) along with volume and price?
    As an end-user is there any additional cost to me? I find it rediculous if end-users would be charged an additional USD 200 for using the API functionality. I guess it applies to third-party developers but just want to make sure!!!
    How much is it to implement it?

The TT Tech. X-Trader platform allows this to do without ANY additional costs, WITHOUT subscription to the pro platform.

#37     Mar 31, 2004
  8. JayF_eSignal

JayF_eSignal eSignal

To avert any confusion, FeedDemon is referring to the eSignal Desktop API, and that it can take extra CPU / Dual Processors to handle 500 symbols.

eSignal, in and of itself, can process 500 symbols without a dual processor.

#38     Mar 31, 2004
  9. FeedDemon

FeedDemon

It all depends on how much the symbol is traded. As "alanm" pointed out, some symbols (MSFT, QQQ, etc.) are high-volume symbols. If you would take the top 250 traded symbols, you would experience performance issues because their streams are so active. If your application takes requests 5 minute intervals, then 500 symbols is no problem. In summary, it depends on a function of the group of symbols, the time interval, the internet connection, the operating system, the programming language (C# or VB), the programming logic and the machine.

We are working on optimizing the Desktop API (in-process vs. out-of-process) calls to make it work more efficiently.

#39     Mar 31, 2004
  10. FeedDemon

FeedDemon

It is completely possible to do what you are looking to do.

There is an initial cost of $195 dollars to have ActiveX entitlements to your account. That cost includes developer SDK, membership to a developer forum and other technical support. There is also a $20 monthly service charge to use the Desktop API. Again, for the level of service, support, data and functionality I feel it is an absolute bargain.

#40     Mar 31, 2004