Best Quote Feed?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by inflector, Apr 21, 2004.

1. 3vian

3vian

How about cqg, not sure about an api, or if they allow just data feed without charting. That said, they have very reliable data and also do data correction for bad ticks. I currently use IQFeed for my charting data, but i find it to be slow, but im tracking 400+ symbols so that could be it. I find my E*TradE Pro feed (use it for level II and order entry only) to be about 1 seconds faster (makes all the difference). I'll have to findout who we use, i suspect we have direct connections to the exchanges.

#11     Apr 22, 2004
  2. nitro

nitro

You're welcome.

Hmmm, it sounds like extreme speed is not that important to you at this point, but accuracy and uptime and perhaps data history for back testing is.

If you are price sensitive, I would say that Realtick is probably the sweet spot for you. If you are not, even in this case I would use Realtick as an inexpensive backup to whatever you end up with. Since it sounds like you are a programmer, you can be your own aggregator of data from multiple data "vendors." That is what I do.

nitro

#12     Apr 23, 2004
  3. nitro

nitro

Yeah,

SPComstock is probably in the top three aggregators, maybe #1.

Never heard of Sunguard....Thanks for the link.

nitro

#13     Apr 23, 2004
  4. I have two distinct needs:

1) A feed that our customers can use. We sell backtesting software and intend to compete against TradeStation et al. Our differentiator will be a much easier to use and flexible environment for nonprogrammers and those who are intimidated by language-based trading system development ala EasyLanguage, WealthScript etc, while at the same time offering greater depth and flexibility for those who are comfortable with systems programming.

Our focus is mechanical system research and development first, execution and trading operations (order management, execution, reconciliation, etc.) second, and we don't ever intend to compete as a graphing and charting application for the discretionary trader.

We're also going to be open, unlike TradeStation, so we'll support connections to different data feeds and different brokerage firms like IB.

In some cases, especially for nonelectronic markets, our customers will need a data feed to manage their own trading hence the question that started this thread.

2) I originally developed our software as an in-house research system for a hedge fund where I am a partner. I also run a small CTA/CPO that uses this software.

Our needs are more sophisticated, and we can justify paying for higher-quality feeds and data. We'll probably eventually end up with colocated servers sitting right on the same pipes as our brokers for most of our actual trading so we can eliminate even the 50ms to 100 ms round-trip times of even dedicated PTP connections. Something like: http://www.gndt.com/tech_bbox.aspx

We are not typical of the customers for our research software, however. They are much more price sensitive. Some of them will care about speed but not most of them; at least not initially.

Again, thank you for the assistance!

- Curtis

#14     Apr 23, 2004
  5. rickty

rickty

#15     Apr 23, 2004
  6. nitro

nitro

I just learned that SPComstock has acquired Hyperfeed, so SPCommstock is becoming even more elite.

The price for SPComstock over the Internet for about 3000 symbols is $1000/M. If you run the tickerplant onsite, it is about $3K/M including telco charges. This is the gold standard right now.

As far as your customers, most of them will want support for all the innexpensive decent feeds like Realtick, ESignal, TrackData, and DTN Satellite.

There are right and "wrong" ways to do dedicated connections depending on where you are and what you are trading.

nitro

#16     Apr 23, 2004
  7. msfe

msfe

Interactive Data Completes Acquisition of S&P ComStock

BEDFORD, Mass., Mar 3, 2003 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Interactive Data Corporation (NYSE: IDC) today announced the closing of its acquisition of S&P ComStock, Inc., a real-time information service providing financial data from more than 180 stock exchanges worldwide.

Stuart Clark, president and chief executive officer of Interactive Data Corporation, commented, "We are very pleased to have completed an acquisition that offers so many opportunities to expand and strengthen Interactive Data Corporation's business. The addition of ComStock's real-time market datafeeds rounds out our ability to serve the mission-critical operations of the global financial community."

Interactive Data Corporation paid $115 million in cash for ComStock, which was formerly a unit of Standard & Poor's, a division of The McGraw-Hill Companies (NYSE: MHP).

Safe Harbor Statement

The following constitutes a "Safe Harbor" statement under the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995: This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve a number of risks and uncertainties. Important factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from those indicated by such forward-looking statements include our ability to successfully integrate the ComStock business, our ability to maintain relationships with key suppliers and providers of market data, including ComStock suppliers, and those other risks and uncertainties set forth under the heading "Forward-Looking Statements" in the company's Annual Report on Form 10-K for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2001. We undertake no obligation to publicly update any forward-looking statement, whether as a result of new information, future events, or otherwise.

About Interactive Data Corporation

Interactive Data Corporation is a leading global provider of securities pricing, financial information, and analytic tools to institutional and individual investors. The company supplies time-sensitive pricing (including evaluated pricing), dividend, corporate action, and descriptive information for more than approximately 3.5 million securities traded around the world, including hard-to-value instruments. The company links to most of the world's best-known financial service and software companies for trading, analysis, portfolio management, and valuation.

Interactive Data Corporation is headquartered in Bedford, Massachusetts. Through its branded businesses, FT Interactive Data, CMS BondEdge, and eSignal, Interactive Data Corporation has approximately 1,800 employees in offices in North America, Europe, Asia, and Australia[/b]. Pearson plc (NYSE: PSO), an international media company, whose businesses include the Financial Times Group, Pearson Education, and the Penguin Group, owns approximately 60 percent of Interactive Data Corporation.

http://www.comstock-interactivedata.com/p_archive/p2_2003.html

#17     Apr 23, 2004
  8. nitro

nitro

wild,

Do you know of a good feed for ESTX50 and its underlying stocks?

nitro

#18     Apr 23, 2004
  9. Ditch

Ditch

Do you have any experience with Eurex-data (germany) from IQfeed. I did a trial with them about a year ago, back then IQ was lagging IB by about 1-2 sec.

#19     Apr 23, 2004
  10. Chuck_T

Chuck_T eSignal

inflector,

eSignal supports probably the most 3rd party applications, check this page out, plus there are many more but they are not sold to the public:

http://www.esignal.com/partners/software/default.asp

Our parent company, Interactive Data Corp (NYSE:IDC) also owns Comstock, purchased the data feed customers of Hyperfeed (they are a technology company now), and owns eSignal.

eSignal is vendor of record for over 85 global exchanges (we use Comstock for European and Asia) and carries GTIS FX service with 200 sources.

If interested, private mail me your email address.

Chuck
    @eSignal

#20     Apr 24, 2004