Best prop firms

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by newguyintown, Sep 22, 2005.

1. ncc2244

ncc2244

from what I've read and researched... nope these firms do not exist. It all depends on if you get lucky or not and happen to come across a mentor who actually wants to help you and is knowledgable.

i did come across a mentor at a prop shop who is an alum of my school (ivy) but although it looked promising I decided not to take the risk... just not worth it, who knows if he actually knows what he is talking about... just because he attended an ivy league doesn't mean he knows what he is doing.
    I'd much rather learn the basics at a large company who has an interest in investing in me and the growth of my skill set.

Although I'm now working at JP just as trade support I think that this is a much more reliable path, and once I think I know enough about trading, and actually still thinks the rewards is worth the risks, then I can always go back to a prop shop.

#11     Sep 22, 2005
  2. To all those that posted useful comments (especially BOSS HOG), thanks a lot. As for zdreg... i'm not exactly the best person u can get into a war of words with. But since i'm on here to get genuine answers, i'm not even gonna get into that. But for ur information, I've done 3 weeks of non-stop research, hour after hour, and finally thought that the best place to get an answer like this was a chat forum like this (which I also found by doing research). And since I'm pretty much new to this site, the most efficient form of getting an answer is not digging up hundreds of old- and for all I know non existent- messages that may have asked my question, but rather to ask it myself. So thanx for the help you strapping good lad ;)

#12     Sep 22, 2005
  3. Being an independent trader is quite simply the best option. option. It's the longer , tougher route, but more satisfying.

But that's only my opinion.

#13     Sep 22, 2005
  4. tbomb

tbomb

GHCO or Refco?

#14     Sep 22, 2005
  5. murty

murty

Oh Dont worry. Companies like FNYS and DEShaw select one in 1000 people interviewed. These companies are completely outsourced, meaning, recruiting and IT divisions are in India. If you dont fit in their numbers, some inexperienced recruiter abroad will just delete your Resume. I know it sucks, but thats how it is. Just call them asian based companies with marketing office in the US; rather than calling them US based companies that oursourced something abroad.

On another note, I found the hardway that its stupid to go against statistical odds of 1 in 1000. The real odds are even worse because they interview only some of all Resumes received.

#15     Sep 22, 2005
  6. Citations of 1/1000 hired from interview pool is clearly wrong. How long would it take to fill just, say, three positions?

#16     Sep 22, 2005
  7. As Emmanual Derman said in his book, if all it took was a phd to succeed in the markets, we'd have alot of rich mathematicians.

#17     Sep 22, 2005
  8. Hey newby in town
    i would suggest you to read some book find friend who day trade at an firm look at them and from their friend and you can get a beeter idea of day trading
    Books can help a little and friend if you know any can give your some ideas
    some information on the internet and the best training is when you start traiding your self small amount of share trade every day with a firm who has low commission
    you can try scalping holding stock for few minutes and different strag
    :)

#18     Sep 22, 2005
  9. zdreg

zdreg

check out the typical response rate-
    replies/ views.

#19     Sep 23, 2005