Best Programming Language to Learn

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by StockOperator, Sep 8, 2003.

1. Thanks for all the feedback.I have decided to start off by Learning Visual Basic.

#51     Sep 12, 2003
  2. tntneo

tntneo Moderator

LOL

#52     Sep 13, 2003
  3. VB isn't a bad language to learn on, in spite of the emphasis in this thread on C, C++, C# and Java - there are lots of good resources out there. I think the real answer is it doesn't matter which language you choose as long as you learn good programming skills. When you get to the point with the tool (programming language) that you aren't able to accomplish what you want, turn to the API or pick up another tool that can accomplish what you want to do. They all have their strengths and weaknesses.

If the language is primarily for programming systems, any of them will do the job, because when you come right down to it, systems don't require that much of the programming language.

#53     Sep 13, 2003
  4. tntneo

tntneo Moderator

I do program in C++, a full automated trading machine, with some charting etc..
    After all the rhetoric from several members and fans of this or that language, the last comment "using VB" seemed so back to ground level.
    and I must say reasonable, the entire thread seemed futile afterward (although a good exchange).

that's all. it made me laugh.
    bottom line is this, unless you come from the software industry, with years of experience designing complex systems, you should not use anything else than VB (maybe Delphi). Otherwise, you will spend much more time fighting the language and platform, and less time building anything of value tradingwise. imo.

#54     Sep 13, 2003
  5. One thing I never understand about is, why it is such a big deal of which language to use, to learn, people hate each other because advocating Java or C#, or C++.

Still remember in my data structure class in computer sciense, it only took me a overnight reading to learn Pasacal, then happy working the mid term project and getting better with it. Similar experience with LISP, all you really need is to concentrate on reading for a few hours, and get some practice after.

To become a guru of any programming language, it may take you up to 3 months hard working programming project work, but then you can walk on the water.

Surely there is always some details special uniqe character exists in each language, but until you really get into it, why bother. What's important is knowing how to independently solve your problem, you will learn on the way solving it. Newsgroup was useful in the past, Google is a good one lately, but always keep collecting good samples, practices and web site community while you surf internet everyday, all these will become useful when you need them. The only "true" reason I think so many people are doing Java these days, is because there are plenty "free" source code being around.

One reason you'd better ignore all those "undocumented" feature of certain system or language is becuase these technologies evolve everyday, something made a contract superior and earning big bucks may become fool-proof in next release of the tool. Those hard learning language specific "undocumented" features will soon be gone too.

Microsoft has done one thing the best, is to make sophisticated programming work easier to fellow poor developers, not only bring down the price of software itself, but also bring down the cost of labor for employer, so both end user and developer love them. Only those who used to earn premium hate the trend of similicity of software engineer brought by Microsoft. One example, Java guru are alwasy proud of their new invention of various object-oriented paradiam, every week there is a new term invented, on the way to make IT manager more confusing, create opportunities for these "Java Guru" to demand more dollars. However, Microsoft is busy making developing tool, to make programming a piece of cake while still deliver in those "Java objective", c# being one, vb.net is not far behind.

Conclusion, programming itself will become a low tech work sooner or later, if not machine generated code. The real challange in IT world will be how to design a system truly solving business problem, that has never been addressed really in the past. Old time easy money is gone, Y2K and over hyped high premium cost IT projects has fundamentally ruined business side confidence about computing in general. The new focus will be: get real.

#55     Sep 13, 2003

6. Russell,I dont agree with your first statement.When you are going to put in 3-6 months of hard work to learn something isnt it worth doing some homework before hand and trying to find the Language most suitable to your needs,by doing this surely you will save a lot of time in the future.

#56     Sep 13, 2003
  7. Microsoft certainly busy making easy click-and-generate developer tools (which activity does seem to leave them no time to write operating systems not requiring weekly patches for very serious vulnerabilities). And there is indeed a problem with technical management who thinks these interface painting tools and those thousands uncompatible even with each other MS APIs would help them to develop enterprise quality software.

Programming is becoming low paid work because companies figured out how to buy skills cheaper offshore (or at least think they did). The one big problem is that when these jobs are gone, they are unlikely to come back as there will be no qualified workforce who is able to do this work ... Time to get ready for those overseas made and overseas programmed PCs and all your other electronics. Maybe they would be some support jobs available, but likely those also would be offshore.

#57     Sep 13, 2003
  8. Bob111

Bob111

you funny..we talking about salary for programmers in some other tread..do you think that you can get 50-150K after 3 month fo training? or let turn it up side down and ask you-do you believe, that big companies will pay salary of at least 50K for something that everyone can easy learn in 3 month or less?

peace

#58     Sep 13, 2003
  9. hey neo (or anyone else who's familiar with VB and C, C++ or C#)--

what is meant when people say "oh, C++ is so much more powerful than VB"??

i mean, i have an idea of why a C language has more capabilities, but does the word powerful have any special meaning? are the C languages faster than VB?

thanks in adv,
    -b

#60     Sep 14, 2003