Best programming language for trading?

Discussion in 'App Development' started by heavenskrow, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Butterball

Butterball

Just start programming. Getting replies on a message board dissecting the "best language to learn" is a waste of time. Just get stuck in and learn.

#21     Jun 6, 2018
    truetype likes this.
  2. DaveV

DaveV

I would not recommend C++ as you first language. It is much easier to make programming mistakes such as memory corruption in C++ than in Java, or C#.

#22     Jun 6, 2018
    MaxPastukhov and elitenapper like this.
  3. They created a scripting language just for Thinkorswim? I didn't know that. What was the justification?

#23     Jun 6, 2018
  4. 2rosy

2rosy

vendor lockin

#24     Jun 6, 2018
    elitenapper, d08 and truetype like this.
  5. Exclusivity doesn't seem to make much sense when TDAmeritrade wants a competitive platform that appeals to the broadest possible customer base. Bad management decision?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
    #25     Jun 6, 2018

6. "If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
    -Lewis Carroll

#26     Jun 6, 2018
    MoneyMagnet likes this.
  7. d08

d08

I used to do perl but perl is poor when it comes to financial modules. Abandoned it years ago and rewrote everything in Python. Haven't regretted it.

Python is fast enough for 99% on ET. You can also move math heavy processes to C, giving you all the speed you need.

Python development speed is unbeatable in my opinion and for once you can understand your own code from years ago due to forced indentation. The modules you get are incredible and save tons of time.

C# seems pretty nice too.

#27     Jun 6, 2018
    a_tech_trade and sysdevel99 like this.
  8. JSOP

JSOP

Being proprietary and being stupid.

#28     Jun 6, 2018
    elitenapper likes this.
  9. JSOP

JSOP

My take. They just want to create a trading platform with charting for the general masses, the moms and pops. Since the moms and pops don't program so they didn't think to create a programming capability with any formal languages or didn't want to dedicate any of their resources to them. Instead they must've dedicated their whole resources in developing charting and the user interface for TOS cuz the charts in TOS and the user interface are the nicest that I've ever seen. For those moms and pops who want to draw some lines on their charts and enter some trades, they created Thinkscript. Thinkscript is highly high-level, the whole codes is all pseudo codes; you can write an English essay in Thinkscript. There is no looping, no iteration, no looking back/calculating back of bars , a conditional control structure with forced "else" condition. The whole thing is horrible.

#29     Jun 6, 2018
    elitenapper likes this.
  10. Peter8519

Peter8519

This is the https request to Yahoo Finance with cookie and crumb already setup.

my $url = 'https://query1.finance.yahoo.com/v7/finance/download/' . $etic . '?period1=' . $period1 . '&period2=' . $period2 . '&interval=1d&events=history&crumb=' . $crumb;

$h = new HTTP::Headers();
    $h->header('Cookie' => $cookie);
    $user_agent = new LWP::UserAgent;
    $request = new HTTP::Request ('GET',$url,$h);
    $response = $user_agent->request($request);
    $content = $response->content;

#30     Jun 6, 2018
    elitenapper likes this.