Best programming language for trading?

Discussion in 'App Development' started by heavenskrow, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

I'm not a programmer but we offer LS Trader and Realtick that both offer an API based on C++.

#11     Jun 6, 2018
  2. Situations vary quite a bit, so rather than give a 'use language X' answer, I'll just suggest a few things to consider, in no special order:

- Which language(s) are you already most familiar with? Ones you already know, even modestly well, will obviously require less effort to apply. Also, consider languages which are similar to ones you know.

- Which development environments are most affordable to you? Programming language discussions often neglect the financial cost of the tools and associated libraries, packages, etc. Though many programming tools today are free of cost, some are not.

- Which ones integrate with other systems you care about? In this case, you may want the ability to easily connect to specific financial data sources, or to make trades on your behalf.

- Which language already has relevant code available for you to borrow (for example, from on-line sources)?

Good luck!

#12     Jun 6, 2018
    Simples likes this.
  3. IAS_LLC

IAS_LLC

Combination of python and c++ is what I use, and subsequently recommend. It is a myth that python is slow. Poorly written python is slow. Many of the math modules are written in c or c++, so they tend to be only slightly slower.

I write my latency critical code in c++ and then use a pybind11 wrapper to extend the class into python for rapid development

Someone said IB API is c#...they also have a c++ API, and I'm willing to bet you can find a python interface on github...if not, maybe someday I'll be altruistic and upload one

#13     Jun 6, 2018
    a_tech_trade, d08 and truetype like this.
  4. IB also has a Python API available.
    http://interactivebrokers.github.io/tws-api/

#14     Jun 6, 2018
    IAS_LLC likes this.
  5. thank you everyone for all your help!!!!

I use IB for executing trades, but thinkorswim for charting so will probably find a language that best suits TOS.
    Have a lot to read and learn, probably will go for C++, java, or python for the start, thanks again!

#15     Jun 6, 2018
  6. JSOP

JSOP

Well IB's whole TWS is written in Java so it's no surprise that it would offer its API in Java but IB does not offer an API in Perl. IB only offers API in C#, Java, Python and Excel DDE.

#16     Jun 6, 2018
  7. JSOP

JSOP

IB used to offer the API in C++ but no longer does anymore.

#17     Jun 6, 2018
  8. JSOP

JSOP

There is no languages to be learned for TOS. It uses its own proprietary scripting language called Thinkscript and is not compatible with any programming languages out there. If you want to "program" in TOS, you will have to learn Thinkscript, the most pain in the a** scripting language you will ever learn, super tedious, super slow and VERY limited in functionality. It's basically just a charting script. Good luck!

#18     Jun 6, 2018
    a_tech_trade likes this.
  9. 2rosy

2rosy

Code:
    use strict;
    use LWP::Simple;
    my $url ="http://www.blah.com"
    my $content = get($url);

#19     Jun 6, 2018
    elitenapper likes this.
  10. truetype

truetype

Perl's mindshare/marketshare has been declining for years.

#20     Jun 6, 2018
    PredictorY likes this.