Best programming language for trading?

Discussion in 'App Development' started by heavenskrow, Jun 5, 2018.

1. For research, I always recommend starting simple with Excel to get familiar with numbers and stats. Python IMO should be the next step. I wouldn't execute with either one. IMO they're best suited for prototyping.

#121     Jan 23, 2019
    tommcginnis likes this.
  2. dholliday

dholliday

Random thoughts,
    If you are going to use python, Dr. Howard Bandy has some good books that include python code (and AmiBroker code). I have no interest in using python. I use Java and will eventually move to Kotlin (a JVM language). That said, C# is a great choice since many platforms use it. Ninja, MultiCharts.net, Wealth Lab Pro, others?
    Python is a good choice to cobble things together and/or if your platform of choice uses it.
    Java and C# are good if writing high-performance professional applications.
    I would pick platforms/languages that have lots of example code available for free. I like the idea of being able to download the code in Stocks & Commodities mag and load it into a platform and see what it does.
    I've never programmed Excel or MATLAB so I can't comment.
    Have fun

#122     Jan 23, 2019
    tommcginnis and BrooksRimes like this.
  3. It all depends on what you are great at and the tasks you wanna undertake, but you could use any language to implementing things in algotrading, though there are other tasks that would require you to use high level language like C++, to solve the problems at hand. So the kind of language you use, is dependent on you entirely.

#123     Mar 7, 2019
    tommcginnis likes this.
  4. Mnewton

Mnewton

python and the pycharm IDE .
    lots of examples out there on youtube
    and stackoverflow.
    tons of data functions

#124     Mar 7, 2019
    tommcginnis likes this.
  5. And if you are a trading system developer, Prof. Bandy's website (Blue Owl Press) has a number of excellent (and free) videos, articles and other resources. Highly recommended.

#125     Mar 7, 2019
    tommcginnis likes this.
  6. pipeguy

pipeguy

Another book I would recommend is from Yves Hilpisch it's dedicated to Python application for finance and serves as a good introduction in programming trading strategies.

#126     Mar 10, 2019
    tommcginnis likes this.