Best production luxury car?

Discussion in 'Luxury and Lifestyle' started by bookish, Apr 10, 2017.

1. mlawson71

mlawson71

Have you had tire changes, at least?

#51     Aug 28, 2019
  2. elderado

elderado

3. mlawson71

mlawson71

That really is one fabulous car!

#53     Jul 7, 2020
  4. maxinger

maxinger

[​IMG]cheap and sporty

#54     Jul 7, 2020
  5. mlawson71

mlawson71

I can't make out the brand, what is that car?

#55     Jul 31, 2020
  6. elderado

elderado

Looks like a Toyota Celica to me. I think they're coming back.

#56     Jul 31, 2020
  7. Banjo

Banjo

Toyota Scion, They closed the brand in 2016. Pic is an early one popular with youth.

#57     Aug 1, 2020
  8. mlawson71

mlawson71

I am not sure whether I have ever seen one.

#58     Sep 13, 2020
  9. piezoe

piezoe

I'll second everything you mentioned and tell you that the best car I ever owned, and among the most reliable too, was also a 3-series, the 325. I have a Porsche Cayman at present. A beautiful car to look at, and great fun to drive at high speed on winding roads, but the BMW beat it hands down with overall driveability and handling at normal street speeds. The Porsche, even with optional 18 inch tires, has too little clearance for any place with bad streets, e.g., New Orleans. The BMW was also great on the highway. The only place the porsche's handling has an edge over the BMW is at speeds over 120 mph. And then the slight edge is due to the lower profile and the very wide wheel base of the porsche, which is extremely stable at high speed. Due to over engineering on the porsche, the BMW beat the Porsche hands down in reliability. I'd still have that 1995 BMW 325 had I not loan it to a friend whose car was in the shop. He parked it behind a flat bead 16 wheeler that backed into it and totaled it. I don't know much about the newest 3-series BMWs, I must admit. If they are any where near as good as my 1995, they're great. Two things about that 325 that I have never experienced in any other car, as mentioned in your post, the engine ran so absolutely vibration and noise free that you had no idea it is running until you step on the gas. They other thing with mine was that it always started instantly when you turned the key. It seemed to make far less than a full revolution of the fly wheel. I mean instantly!, as you would expect of an electric car. I have no idea how the BMW engineers accomplished that! The handling and sensitive steering on the BMW was absolutely perfect.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    #59     Sep 20, 2020
    DallasCowboysFan likes this.
  10. piezoe

piezoe

I have a friend with one with 200K miles, he loves that car, but would you consider it a "luxury car"?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    #60     Sep 20, 2020