Best Portfolio Backtesting Software ???

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by StockZGrabber, Oct 20, 2003.

1. samaras

samaras

@Glitch
    Wealth-Lab seems to get close to portfolio testing but I don't like the idea of doing everything on the web. I am planning to trade only end of day but what if I decide to use real time? Do you have plans to add that to the web site? Also I did not find any futures data?

@StockOperator
    I downloaded NeoTicker do you have any experience in that? I will take a look at TradingRecipes. If it does what you say then its my baby .:D

#11     Nov 3, 2003
  2. gms

gms

It occurs to me that you can use Amibroker for charting purposes as well, both real-time and EOD, so for a couple of hundred bucks, doesn't that make it a rather economical charting software package alone?

#12     Nov 3, 2003
  3. samaras:

If you buy the desktop version, then you have it sitting on you computer. NOT on the web! The desktop version is fully REAL-TIME. And IB integrated. I'm using it do both equities and futures trading. Great stuff.

#13     Nov 3, 2003
  4. lindq

lindq

InvestorRT - www.linnsoft.com

Very comprehensive backtesting with no programming. Can do everything that TS and WL can do, but faster and easier. Excellent support.

#14     Nov 3, 2003
  5. What data feed have you used with linnsoft?

Thanks

#15     Nov 3, 2003
  6. lindq

lindq

I use TrackData. A few short term problems in the past, but they have been stable for the past few months. Are you working with InvestorRT?

#16     Nov 3, 2003
  7. No.

I am looking for backtesting and historical charting on options, both equity and futures options.

www.linnsoft.com/qfeed/index.htm The links in top right link to specific data providers.

Any suggestions form anyone?

Does any one know about the options charts available through BigTrends.com. I understand they do not have futures options charts yet. But they tell me they have intraday tick option data back to at least July 2002 (each day's tick data is available after the close so no realtime). They just told me this today. Only $99 a month so I will so I may try it. I just wandered if anyone was using it or hand more info.

Thanks

#17     Nov 3, 2003
  8. lindq

lindq

Nutseal -

Go to InvestorRT's yahoo chat thread and ask your question. I know there are folks there who are backtesting options strategies with IRT. The program handles many different types of data feeds.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/linnsoft/messages/

#18     Nov 3, 2003
  9. samaras

samaras

I am lost which software are you talking about? I just looked at the demo of TR, is it really a DOS software? I was not able to find a demo to download, just a short tutorial?

#19     Nov 3, 2003
  10. samaras

samaras

@quantpatterns

I am sorry I see now what you mean. WL has a software WLD3 that runs on the desktop. I will take a look at it after I researched NT. Thanks a lot for the info. The information on the wealthlab site is overwhelming.

#20     Nov 5, 2003