Best Platform for Amp Trading?

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by canuck, Oct 26, 2016.

1. I use Sierra Charts for order execution and most charting. Sierra charts allows you to run as many instances as you wish on the same computer. I have 1 setup with CQG broker data (CQG FIX Trading) for the actual executions, a 2nd instance running on IQFeed that does most of the charting and NinjaTrader running IQfeed data for Jigsaw DOM.

CQG FIX data connection through Sierra Charts has had a noticeable execution speed increase. I'm in Aus and its been clearly visible when comparing between platforms and live order executions.

IQfeed data allows as many platforms to connect as you wish on the same computer desktop (But you can't live trade through IQfeed). I've also run Virtual machines using IQfeed data as long as its first connected to from a platform on the main desktop, then each platform running on the virtual machine will "find" and connect to this running instance of IQfeed.

The way CQG is currently, its 1 data connection for 1 platform, even on the same desktop.
    AMP have additional CQG broker data connections available for $10-15/month from memory. This is a CQG requirement at this stage because of the way they interpret the "rules". (Not AMP price gouging.) The plus side of this is that the 2nd data connection can then be used for anything. As a backup connection running on a tablet/laptop in-case there are issues with your primary. I've got a 2nd one running on a tablet with a SIM card in-case of a blackout and need to close a position out.

I switched from using NT as primary platform as it constantly crashes, freezes, glitches and there is a noticeable delay in order fills. Spent over a year chasing "issues" with support and its never ending.

When I first moved to Sierra Charts, I hated it. It felt old and hard to navigate. I stuck with it for 1 month and after using it, it just FITS. Everything is laid out for a reason, its intuitive and the documentation is 2nd to none. Support is fast and to the point. Its order fill speed is FANTASTIC! Every other platform I've tried has shown delays at times. I'm yet to see it with Sierra Charts going on 2yrs now. The inbuilt tools available in Sierra Charts are tools that often cost hundreds or thousands of $ to "add-on" to other platforms.

Sierra Charts also offer a discount the longer you have the platform for capped at around 27% from memory.
    AMP have a Sierra Charts discount available to that is very decent without waiting for the monthly SC % discount to add up.

I've recently written a AutoHotKey script and set up a trading keyboard using the hotkeys built into each platform. Now when I enter a "live" order on Sierra Charts, it will send the same order to NT as a "Sim" order so that the relevant order levels are visible on the DOM.

There are many different platforms and AMP have a lot of them to offer. There is no reason you can't try a few to see what fits your needs. There are ways to mix and match to get what you need if its not all available in 1 platform.

For me, it will take something demonstrated consistently better to switch from using Sierra Charts as my primary live trade platform now. It has been the best switch I've made!

#11     Oct 31, 2016
    trader_umr likes this.
  2. canuck

canuck

Thank you BearRunner for discussing your set-up and experience, much appreciated!

#12     Oct 31, 2016