Best place to trade small options account

Discussion in 'Options' started by RickW00716, Aug 22, 2011.

1. spindr0

spindr0

C'mon, a small account might earn a coupla dollars of interest per year :)

#11     Aug 23, 2011
  2. When I first started to use IB I put in $25K as that was what they asked for. At that time the going interest rate was about 3.5% and OptionsXpress was paying me close to that on my money.

So in a year's time I should have been paid 25000*.035 = $875

Now if I was paying $8.75 elsewhere for trades that's 100 trades. I don't make but 100 trades a year at the most. So is IB all that much of a bargain??? Not as far as I'm concerned.

Thay are just putting my money in an interest bearing account someplace and collecting that money and using it to supplement their 'bargain' fees. That's not all that much of a bargain.

#12     Aug 23, 2011
  3. joneog

joneog

And MM rates are basically 0 now with no prospect of rising anytime soon so this is pretty much irrelevant to OPs decision.

I think I received 70 cents in interest on a 6-figure cash balance last month. Gotta love QE.

#13     Aug 23, 2011
  4. NYSEguy

NYSEguy

Both Tradeking and OptionsHouse offer very low commissions and decent trading platforms.

#14     Aug 23, 2011
  5. And MM rates are basically 0 now with no prospect of rising anytime soon so this is pretty much irrelevant to OPs decision.

I think I received 70 cents in interest on a 6-figure cash balance last month. Gotta love QE.

70 cents... holy crap.

No its not relevant today but someday .... I hope.

#15     Aug 24, 2011
  6. gibson02

gibson02

how about optionxpress ? is it good for starting with small account ?

#16     Sep 2, 2011