Best Place to trade in the world - Quality of Life

Discussion in 'Politics' started by CPTrader, Sep 21, 2003.

1. MrDinky

MrDinky

That's gotta be one of the best responses I've read in a long time. FWIW Lobster I agree with you in the general sense. Forget the dog, it's the "$hit all over and let someone else clean it up" attitude of people in general that get me riled.

:cool:

#51     Sep 21, 2003
  2. London... THE STREET!

#52     Sep 21, 2003
  3. mark1

mark1 Guest

I don't understand why people here get mad when someone says he would prefer not to live in USA.

You seem to consider any US citizen willing to leave as a traitor.
    I can understand the patriotism for your own country but can't get the point of this "brain washing" attitude.

Do you really consider The U.S. the best place in the world?
    Obviously there are problems all over the world, but you have to decide by yourself what your priorities are.

I prefer to live in a country where is not forbidden to smoke even in your apartment than living in a country where is allowed to kill people by law, knowing that this is not stopping people to commit crimes

But this is me. I just choose to live elsewhere you don't ,
    and I keep respecting you and your ideal.

I'm Italian , I love my country, I admit we have many problems and I can describe them if you like.
    But this doesn't make me a traitor.

#53     Sep 21, 2003
  4. Roscoe

Roscoe

Belize interests me - they have immigration plans available www.belize.com - anyone living and trading from there? On the Caribbean coast.

Some of the South Pacific is good - Vanuatu, Fiji, etc, but islands and hurricanes can be a bad mix at times.

Australia is fine for quality of life, climate, etc., but taxes suck.

How about Cuba :p ?

#54     Sep 21, 2003
  5. Yep, how about Cuba? How is the infrastructure there?

#55     Sep 21, 2003
  6. Pabst

Pabst

Kick ass environment for the serious volume trader. T1 lines are as common in Cuba as dial up in the U.S. MSFT has already installed beta versions of Windows2008 in several million Cuban homes and business's. Plus no taxes on trading profits. Bright has recently opened a 15,000 square ft. facility in Havana. Competition is tough though. FCastro Capital Markets LLC still does about 90% of the daily volume. However since many Cuban's still believe there is no edge in trading listed with opening orders and pair trading, a more quantitative approach is being widely accepted.

#56     Sep 21, 2003
  7. Pabst, what else do you know.. about Cuba, with respect to quality of life, cost of living, security, environment, culture, entertainment, expat life, etc.
    Thanks.

#57     Sep 21, 2003
  8. I think before you can choose anywhere you have to set the criteria by which you're making your decision.

This is my criteria not in any order:

1. Culture
    2. Weather
    3. Friendly people
    4. Low crime rate
    5. Natural beauty
    6. Beautiful women
    7. Entertainment
    8. Food quality

I haven't included cost of living in my list because I figure if you can afford to move anywher on earth, money is not really an issue for you. If you're not a natural citizen of most of these countries, you need at least a million large to gain residency. As I'm not an American, I think I'm allowed to name a US city.

My five would be:

Amalfi Coast, Italy
    Prague
    Manhatten
    Byron Bay, Austrlia
    London
    Ibiza, Spain
    Andeamen Islands, Thailand

By the way, if your not Thai, you can't buy land in Thailand, but you can get a 99 year lease on a good size block with beach views for about $5000.

The cost of labour and materials is also very cheap by western standards.

Runningbear

#58     Sep 21, 2003
  9. Very expensive. A one bedroom apartment in Havana will cost about $7000 per month. But that's reflective of the immense opportunity of working and living in the City. Crime is non-existent. Havana has one of the most efficiant police department's in the world. Besides, in a land of such prosperity, who would need to commit crime? Cuba welcomes American's, although there is still some party officials who frown upon critism of Govt. policy. However freedom of the press, the transmission of American radio and television, and the laid back pro business attitude of the populist peoples regime makes Cuba like a 51st state!Baseball's great too!!

#59     Sep 21, 2003
  10. I live in Vancouver and here's what I objectively think in relation to trading.

- 2 major high speed providers (Cable and DSL)
    - Tons (and I mean tons) of computer shops here to get all the latest and greatest computer technology
    - Pacific Time Zone GMT -0800. That's 3hrs before NY time
    - 6 big banks (Canada wide and have international connections) with lots of smaller credit unions around
    - No one in the public knows about trading. You will be a lone wolf in a way. If you say "stocks" people will assume "mutual funds" and no one knows about "futures, commodities, or FX")

In relation to lifestyle and geography:
    - Climate is from -10 degrees C to about +35 in the summer. Those are the extremes. Most of the year it's between +5 and +20
    - Lots of sunshine in the summer, lots of rain and clouds in the other 3 seasons
    - Cost of living is pretty high. Rent for a 1 bedroom is from $600 to $850CAD/month. Survey done about 6 mos ago said that you need to be making $28,000 pre-tax per year to be living by yourself in Vancouver.
    - Food is cheap compared to the rest of the country and compared to the USA
    - Public transportation is poor, but if you're a successful trader, you should be able to afford a car
    - Health care is good once you're off the waiting list.
    - Education system is good
    - Air and Water was excellent, but is declining
    - Lots of restaurants. Almost get any kind of food imaginable. Aside from North American food, other popular cuisines include (in order of popularity): Japanese, Greek, Chinese, Italian, Vietnamese, Thai
    - Very few fat people (it's true!) because of the West Coast active lifestyle of hiking, golf, tennis, cycling, running, rollerblading, badminton, martial arts, yoga, swimming, basketball, volleyball. Almost everyone here plays sports (lots of fit <30 women here)

-And Vancouver/Whistler was chosen to host the 2010 Winter Olympics so I guess it must be good enough to be a world class city.

Cheers,
    DNAJ65000

#60     Sep 21, 2003