Best place to park cash for intermediate periods?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by HuggieBear, May 22, 2010.

1. Lets say one was to pursue a trading strategy that might keep them invested only 70% of the time, with decently long stretches where significant sums of cash would not be actively put to work. Further, lets assume these inactive periods are generally during market downturns or during periods of stock weakness.

What is the most productive way to apply that cash? Leaving it in a MM fund is about the same as staying in cash, so I'm wondering if there might be a more productive use for it. Maybe a high grade corporate bond etf? Or a gov bond ETF? At least with those one could collect the divvys

This would seem to be a no-brainer but during the financial crisis it seemed like everything got murdered, bonds included.

Maybe using bonds to park cash makes sense for cyclical downturns but not so much for a potential deflationary downturn?

Anyway, I'm interested in opinions here and if anyone has a strategy they are actively employing.

2. Redneck Bank, Where Bankin's Funner!
    http://www.redneckbank.com/

Not sure how much cash we're talking about but 2% MM up to 35k isn't bad. I think some people with lots of money just sniff out these kind of deals and park cash across several banks.

Their debit cards are great especially for paying at fancy restaurants.