Best place to live in the USA

Discussion in 'Politics' started by EqtTrdr, Jan 3, 2005.

1. The only thing that's weird about Austin is that you feel like you're on the ocean cuzz it's so flat. If you've grown up around mountains all your life, it's a strange effect...

#41     Jan 6, 2005
  2. views... I love views :D

#42     Jan 6, 2005
  3. #43     Jan 6, 2005
  4. Same here, but there is something soothing though about going out onto a plain or field and not being able to see anything above the horizon line. Complete peace...

#44     Jan 6, 2005
  5. this is where tornados congregate... no?

:eek: I'm a sissy... I want to live in a place with very little chances of natural disasters. Then again, the high amount of rainfall does result in high suicide rates in the northwest. I guess there is no safe place.

#45     Jan 6, 2005
  6. bump....

#46     Jan 8, 2005
  7. If you want to get a home outside the USA, the Lake District (England) and parts of Switzerland are very beautiful places, particularly if you like the outdoors. The only trouble is that you won't get a decent place to live for under $750,000. Ideally, $1m+ for a good house.

#47     Feb 17, 2005
  8. unfortunately this is all true...atlanta used to be a great city. there is another town that is just like ATL in the good ole days but "i ain't telling" you yankees !!!!!!! ya'll would ruin it.

#48     Feb 17, 2005
  9. I am interested in moving to North America again for a while, maybe a year or so. I'm just not sure where. I lived in Detroit for a while as a kid, and in Vegas a few years ago. That makes them both appealing (because I know people/family there) and not so appealing ('cos I've already been there).

I want to live in a big city with at least 1MM people, but preferably more. Climate doesn't particularly bother me, as I like them all (even the extremes). Nightlife is important, but it doesn't have to be "crazy"; as long as there's somewhere half-interesting to go (and there's actually more than five other people there) on say, a Wednesday night, it should be fine.

I'd consider anywhere, but right now the options I'm looking most closely at are: Toronto, Vancouver, Miami, Tampa, Boston, Houston, Phoenix, Minneapolis and Denver. So, if you are from one of those places, go ahead and sell me on it. What are the best things about it? How does it compare to elsewhere that you've lived? And on the flip side, what are the less desirable aspects?

And if you don't live (or haven't lived) in one of the above cities, but feel your city has something special to offer (perhaps you think it's too often overlooked, or an unfair rap), feel free to join in.

Places in particular which, for one reason or another, I probably won't consider, for varying reasons, (but I'm open to being convinced otherwise) are: Atlanta, Hartford, LA, DC, NY, Chicago.

Myself, I'm a 27 year old single guy, former trader (good times, but the music stopped!) from Melbourne, Australia. I've been around a bit, in the US and in Europe, and I have to say, Melbourne's a fantastic place (every bit as good as Sydney, and better, imo).

#49     Feb 18, 2005
  10. All of us want to move to Melbourne.

#50     Feb 18, 2005