best place to get euros for vacation?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by 151, Feb 24, 2010.

1. 151

Where is the best place to go to do a small currency swap for Euros?

My mother is leaving for Italy in three weeks and I hate to think of her getting her Euros at the airport.

Thanks

2. FredBloggs

FredBloggs Guest

we have atm's in europe too. even italy has them. its not the 3rd world!

as long as you have a credit card like visa or master card/maestro youre probably better off asking your bank what the charge will be for withdraws/transactions, and just putting the rest on the credit card in the usual fashion.

3. :eek: shocker:D

4. Your best bet is to withdraw with an ATM.. at least with my credit union, you get the market (offer) rate plus a small (~$4-5) transaction cost with every ATM transaction. Still much better than the 3-10% transaction fees you get at the airport or even other banks.

Just make sure you've verified with your bank that you'll be using the card overseas and your pin is a 4-digit number. I've heard of problems withdrawing with a longer pin or one with letters.

I've never had any problems getting money from ATMs in Switzerland or the EU.. some of my friends were traveling in China and they too had no problems withdrawing local currency from ATMs there as well.