Best place to build a retirement home.

Discussion in 'Hook Up' started by Free Thinker, Jan 21, 2009.

1. chartman

chartman

Saipan. Can't be beat for year round climate. Cost of living little expensive but no sales tax and only half of mainland federal income tax. No local income tax. Residents are USA citizens. Plenty of green plus year round cool breeze off ocean. No smog and low crime rate.

#41     Feb 14, 2009
  2. 007Arb

007Arb

I've lived pretty much all over the country in my life, including the aforementioned Tahoe/Reno area. I think what you are looking for can be found outside of Asheville. A few also mentioned some of the TN cities which also might work ala Nashville, Knoxville, and Chattanooga. The Boone/Banner Elk NC region aka The High Country is my favorite summer place but it's too cold there in the winter. As for me now, somehow about 12 years ago by accident got stuck in a small town in southern KY (Glasgow) and still loving life in Mayberry. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I could end up here and not around the mountains. But you will sometimes in life that happiness is where you least expect to find it.

#42     Feb 14, 2009
  3. MO or TX?

Table Rock Lake
    [​IMG]

Lake of the Ozarks
    [​IMG]

Toledo Bend
    [​IMG]

#43     Feb 15, 2009
  4. did a vacation at table rock...land of the chiggers. After playing golf had bug bites all over me. Very Very boring place. Talked to a couple who had opened one of the B&B's there (came from dryer mountains) and said it was the worst mistake of there lives. However they were stuck having sunk their life savings into it. The weather in the winter is very cold due to high humidity. Branson? OMG the traffic is totally the worst and ...sorry...entertainment mostly sorry.

OTOH my very favorite A & U retired near-by and love it. to each their own:D

#44     Feb 16, 2009
  5. north carolina really interests me.... where can I can good info geared towards retirement living ???

#45     Feb 16, 2009
  6. HTown and surrounding area is like living in someones arm pit most of the year.....hot, nasty, and WET!!! :eek:

Now Austin on there other hand ROCKS! Much more arid with beautiful rolling hills, trees, and lakes.......this town is just the right size too at near 1 million total area population. Austin does get the high 90's often mid June through to mid Sept, but with the low humidty levels it is very nice weather imo! Austin is also very unique in that we don't have hardly any bugs....almost no mosquitoes or other types of bugs that can ruin a nice day spent outdoors (which I hated as a kid growing up in Minnesota in the summers). If you need lower temps year round then you may want to check out parts of New Mexico, Utah, or Colorado.

BTW, Texas has no state income taxes. :)

#46     Feb 16, 2009
  7. Coolio

Coolio

Yep, my vote is for Texas. Lived there from 1991-1996.

I don't fare well in the heat so I'll just watch myself from 10 am to 4 pm during the summer. Either Austin or Corpus Christi intrigue me.

I'm headed back as a refugee from the Communistwealth of Massachusetts.

#47     Aug 1, 2009
  8. When I was a kid, I had a traveling sales job. Used to go Northeast TN alot. Gatlinburg TN is very scenic. Moderate temps. but no idea what the RE prices are. Since those times, I think Dolly Parton built a large theme park nearby. (Pidgeon Forge??) Might have gotten trashy??

Also check out Lake Gaston, NC // VA. Large lake, north of Charlotte NC.

#48     Aug 1, 2009
  9. kxvid

kxvid

Colorado. Aspen if you are rich enough. Vail if you aren't. Beautiful.

NC is nice too. It would be nice to retire some place along the outer banks. Fish, swim, drink enjoy life.

#49     Aug 1, 2009
  10. Albuquerque, New Mexico or anywhere in northern New Mexico...For the win!

Got trees, green grass, high desert (not too hot if you head higher up north). 4 seasons.

It's booming down here. I know, I build houses in the southern part, the northern part is very popular as well.

-troll

#50     Aug 1, 2009