Best PDA Charting?

Discussion in 'Forex' started by ScapGF, Jan 2, 2005.

1. ScapGF

ScapGF

I am interested in buying a top of the line PDA to carry with me so I can monitor price movements while on the go.

I don't want to use a PDA to trade from given the security reasons, but I WOULD like to be able to have CLEAR candlestick charts at my disposal. That way if I am jogging through the airport (or out to lunch, etc...) I can see what the prices have done, and in the extreme cases, actually call up my dealer to execute a trade the old fashioned way.

So once again, what is the BEST charting software available for PDAs.

Also, which PDA would you recommend.

Happy New Year!

2. ScapGF

ScapGF

I forgot one other thing, please post any appropriate links or actual screenshots!

3. ScapGF

ScapGF

Im sorry for being a complete moron when it comes to this stuff...

That being said, aside from the charting service, which wireless providers do you find to be the best. And how much do they cost/month if all I require is the internet access? My cell phone service is SprintPCS, if that helps at all.

Basically I have $1000 to spend for the actual PDA, and need to know which to get.

Then I need to know how much(ballpark) I would need to spend for the services(charts and wireless service).

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it! :)

4. no need to be sorry, I don't know much about this stuff either. I'm not an expert, so hopefully there's someone that could correct me... but I'll share what I know

As far as wireless plans. I suppose it depends on where you live. Verizon has good service where I live, but I heard it sucks in California... or was it tmobile? Well you get the idea. I'm not sure about the cost because I think the plans go by how much data you receive. For charting purposes it doesn't download much data anyways, unless you plan on having it on 24hrs.

I have a verizon mobile phone. If I pay 5 more bucks/month I can use my phone to connect to the internet. If you have a phone that can connect to a pda/laptop you could connect at 56K speed. It'll charge minutes as if you were on the phone, but at night time those minutes are free.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/mobileoptions/broadband/index.jsp
    This is wireless internet. T1 speed for 80/month. I think the network card is separete though.

I have a friend that trades from his vacation home using his laptop and phone.

I prefer laptops, and for your budget I would get a laptop. This way you don't have to get a separate charting service for your pda. The link I showed you was 120/month, and I think I've found some as cheap as 30/month. If you use a laptop you can use your normal charting software. No compromises.... cost effective

charts 30-100+ per month
    wireless plan 5-80 per month

tmobile, verizon, sprint... those are all good. Shop around, cos price and reliability can differ depending on where you live.

5. ScapGF

ScapGF

Interesting information. As far as laptops are concerned, I already have one.

I just think it would be uber convenient to have a PDA w/charts since they can fit in your pocket.

I.E., usage...I would most likely carry the PDA with me whenever I am not by the computer, so I would use it everyday.

6. ScapGF

ScapGF

Like I said earlier, I have NO plans of executing trades from the PDA, I simply want the charts.

If I feel the need to execute a trade I will just call up my dealer. There are too many problems currently with trading from the PDA.

7. I know... if they offered a demo account on the wireless platform then you got yourself free charts.

#10     Jan 2, 2005