Best Password Recovery

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by Handle123, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Try here...

http://www.nirsoft.net/

All the best in your recovery.

#11     Jun 14, 2013
  2. Just tried that site and came up with one that would take "1064784 Centuries to crack". I had a college class last fall where my teacher was a computer guy. He talked to us about passwords and how to make them almost uncrackable in a reasonable amount of time. I'm sure another route could be found if someone wanted in bad enough though. Anyways using a phrase with each word separated by a character. Just a general phrase for every password and then add in the website name at the beginning. So elitetrader$I$like$pizza! Or whatever website name then the same phrase. It works great. Try using something like that on the link you posted and you should get a solid result.

The bank I work at we use passwords that change every 4 weeks for the wire systems and then little key fob tokens that give out a different set of numbers ever time you hit the button. Pretty secure!

#12     Jun 14, 2013
  3. pemully

pemully

Google webbrowserpassview and it will recover passwords entered in browsers.

#13     Jul 6, 2013
  4. Here's a fun thing to try: go to the web sites where you have accounts and try to login using just the first 8 characters of your password. If they're using old UNIX encryption, that's all that they keep track of. "manhattan2newrochelle435" doesn't turn out to be nearly as unique as you think.

#14     Jul 7, 2013
  5. Rajendrar

Rajendrar

#15     Jul 28, 2013
  6. Though it's 4 years old, here's an interesting analysis of how long it'll take various classes of machines to brute-force passwords...

http://www.lockdown.co.uk/?pg=combi

#16     Jul 28, 2013
  7. #17     Jul 28, 2013
  8. Believe it or not I have actually run this setup (with 1 GPU, not a cluster) and it's very compelling. But the caveat (as pointed out in the article) is that long passwords don't matter as much if they contain only normal words. Using random passwords is an effective countermeasure to brute-force and dictionary attacks.

Really good password crackers use a combination of techniques, not just simple brute-force, to find passwords. Dictionary attacks are very effective since most passwords contain only normal words.

And to reiterate what I said earlier to OP's problem, keep your usernames/passwords written down in a safe and have a backup *person* who can remember all this and knows how to use them.

OP suffered from memory loss after a major health event. But imagine you have open positions and you're killed/die suddenly. How will your loved ones be able to recover from this? They not only need to know your login credentials but what to do after they log in. We all live every day assuming we'll be there tomorrow but that's not a good assumption where large sums of money are involved.

#18     Jul 28, 2013
  9. sprstpd

sprstpd

My "password life" changed as soon as I started using KeePass. Now I don't care how long my passwords are because forms are auto-filled from the KeePass database. You just have to make sure your master database password is long enough/secure enough to be uncrackable.

#19     Jul 28, 2013