Best overview of PMS industry?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by hiver, Apr 7, 2009.

1. hiver

hiver

Hello all,

Apologies if this question is not in the right place!

For a research assignment I am trying to do an industry analysis of software solution categories aimed towards Investment management Firms - specifically Portfolio Management Solutions (PMS)

I guess my overall question is if you have anywhere to point me for some background information for all this?, but otherwise I have a few burning questions:

Would you agree that OMS, EMS and PMS are the 3 main categories of solutions, or what categories should I include for the total picture ?

With that out of the way, I need to dive into the PMS category - do you know if any material exists that discusses the amount of vendors engaging in specifically PMS solutions?

Standing outside the industry, it seems there is very little coherence in what to call product categories, what vendors belong to what categories and views on what solutions CANNOT do...(plenty of views on what solutions can do :)

I hope my question makes sense. To ask in a different way: If you had no industry knowledge, and you needed to do an external analysis (Think PEST, Porters 5 Forces and industry value chain) - where would you go to find relevant information?

Many thanks, Mads