Best options strategy for a 1 or 2 dollar gain within 5 days ?

Discussion in 'Options' started by Range Rover, Jul 27, 2010.

1. drcha

drcha

What about a synthetic? It will move dollar for dollar with the stock and the margin is substantially less.

BUT if you are in such a trade only for a day or two, you had better pick a high priced, liquid stock like AMZN. Otherwise the bid-ask spreads will kill you.

#21     Jul 27, 2010
  2. Lol Chucky is basically referring to a strangle, and within the time frame it does make sense. As long as Amazon continues to be as volatile.

#22     Jul 28, 2010
  3. I don't think so, a strangle deep in the money doesn't make sense. Chuckybrown70 must have found the holy grail with all the secrecy and preferring PM's for communication, Range Rover is going to get good private mentoring. Lucky guy :D

#23     Jul 28, 2010
  4. MTE

MTE

No, chuckybrown is not referring to a strangle. If you look closer chuckybrown wrote "puts or calls" not "puts and calls".

#24     Jul 28, 2010
  5. Ah I get it the reason he mentions buying a deep out of the money that has .05 premium. Is because you can sell it later for .10-20 for a decent profit if ti does move in that direction. If you lose you're maximum downside is 100% maximum upside is anywhere from 300-10,000% it's no big secret. I figured that one out a long time ago.

#25     Jul 28, 2010
  6. spindr0

spindr0

If it has a delta of 1.0 and makes 1:1 to the upside then it's going to lose 1:1 to the downside, especially for the criteria of AMZN moving 1-2 pts up or down in the next few days as posed by the OP.

The highest strike AMZN call with a delta of 1.0 will lose maybe $9.75 for the first 10 pts of drop. So technically, you're right. It will lose "less" than 1:1 but not much less than that ratio :)

And FWIW, the lower the IV, the more an underlying can drop before the loss ratio gets away from 1:1

#26     Jul 28, 2010
  7. spindr0

spindr0

As MTE pointed out, Chucky was not referring to a strangle. If he were, it would be a horrible (losing) choice in the OP's context of a short term 1-2 pt move up or down.

#27     Jul 28, 2010

8. How deep?If I was buying AMZN today at the open exactly which call option would you buy ?

#28     Jul 28, 2010
  9. PM sent

#29     Jul 28, 2010
  10. joesan

joesan

As deep as the delta of the option falls within the 85-95 range

#30     Jul 31, 2010