Best option strategies to learn ....

Discussion in 'Options' started by tradingpoker, Jan 5, 2020.

1. taowave

taowave

You havent truly expeienced the "joy" of options until you lift a leg on a spread while the other decides to sprint away from you..Nothing quite like white knucle trading

#81     Jan 15, 2020
    TooEffingOld likes this.
  2. This sounds right on a superficial view but then again, it's the 440 strike that's at 50% probability. The 445% one likely is two standard deviations away, thus 2%. Integrating (averaging), the whole strategy probably has far less than the 34% probability you're paying for it.

But don't take my words for granted. In a couple of months I'll release on GitHub the "Linux" of options trading strategy building. The rationale behind that, after almost 15 years in the field and still failing to make money is like Edison said: "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." In the primitive days of computing everyone had to make their "Linux" (operating system) and in the process, re-invent / re-discover all those 10,000 ways and more. That was around 1950 btw. Today's finance is 1970's computing: lots and lots of very expensive and wildly different (as in what set of 100-to-1000 of those 10,000 bugs you want) commercial solutions.

I tried (and failed, count it as my #10,001's) to make money getting a job doing what I do best but still I'd like to make a bit more money on my thing than Linus did on his thing when I'm gonna release it. But at this point I really don't give a fuck even if I don't.

In short: look forward, as in 1 to 6 months, for the 100% free and open source formal and practical proof that your strategy is bullshit. Or not! :)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    #82     Jan 21, 2020
    #83     Jan 21, 2020
  4. You think a 5 pt move in Tesla is 2 standard deviations? Do you have any idea how volatile TSLA is? You’re not trading 5 point spreads on a $40 product with a beta of one... You trade according to the price and vol. Putting that aside, that’s why I kept saying you gotta be somewhat decent at picking direction. The point of that trade is if you are right 50% of the time at picking direction and all of your trades are favorably priced, you’ve got edge. The key is to not suck at picking direction.

#84     Jan 21, 2020
    ironchef, tradingpoker and anycolour like this.
  5. ironchef

ironchef

I admire your persistence and perseverance. I would have given up a long time ago and find something else to make money.

Good luck, I am looking forward to test your system.

#85     Jan 22, 2020
  6. ironchef

ironchef

Easier said than done.

#86     Jan 22, 2020
  7. taowave

taowave

But here is the problem..If you arent Delta Hedging,every position has an implied directional bet.If you absolutely suck,you are in medium to deep doo doo....

With that said,there are "seemingly" opportunistic trades that present itself which afford one the luxury of being somewhat clueless as to direction.IMHO,as a former "grinder",when you are right,you need to get richly reawarded. Which is why I am not a terribly big fan of tight verticals as a directional bet.Rather trade them as part of a fly/condor

#87     Jan 22, 2020
    Trade Theory and ironchef like this.
  8. Thanks.

Well, I DO hold a job, that's still under the making money category :)

The "other" stuff I do on a side it's essentially a combination of hobby and playing the lottery. Odds of success are definitely similar to winning the lottery but if I stop doing this, what the heck am I gonna do else? I do it since so long that's become part of my identity I guess, so it's very likely I'll continue to do this all my life.

Right now I'm looking to unload some of the developer work in order to be able to allocate that time to more relevant stuff and by that I mean mathematics.

#88     Jan 22, 2020
    Trade Theory, ironchef and taowave like this.
  9. Sometimes, though, I wonder. I'm struggling with stochastic integrals and partial differential equations and see shit like this making it to billion dollar valuation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dollar_Shave_Club

It doesn't make any sense.

If this current stint of mine into the fine art of making it rich through speculation doesn't pan out in the near to mid future, I'll take out a little of the ambition while keeping the essential and switch to plan B.

Plan A: Rich = free + powerful.
    Plan B: Just free.

Plan B is known in today's world as an universal basic income (UBI) economy. I think of it more as a functioning unified centralized kindness yielding output universally (FUCK YOU) economy.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    #89     Jan 23, 2020
  10. On another account, and speaking of it (the account), is it possible to nuke my account here?

I've said a lot of shit after downing some beers, which I would like to keep private. Anyone knows of past occurrences here, politely ask the admin (and perhaps for a small charge), have my account deleted along with all it's history?

Don't worry, I'll be back under the same name. Aquarians reloaded :cool:

#90     Jan 23, 2020