Best off the shelf trading PC ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tradewise, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Maybe.
    The same hype has been told at the time of hyperthreading.
    Much depends on HOW your application software is written. If NOT for Dual-Core, you may NOT see much difference.

#21     Sep 4, 2005
  2. I bought an 8-port switch (on sale for like under 20 bucks, couldn't believe it!) and when I find a good deal on a computer I buy it and plug it in to the switch. I still have my first computer (Windows 98, No not the Sinclair or the Commodore!) I have 2 laptops and a desktop in the network. I use the old Compaq Laptop as my print server.

Put your money into trading capital and let it compound. If you must spend it, buy a bigger house.

Michael B.

P.S. I just used my trading profits to buy a studio condo in Metro Denver, I still have my 1990 Plymouth Voyager with simulated wood grain siding. (Wifey still wants the Hummer)

P.P.S. A good investment for your eyes and to increase screen real estate may be in some Samsung 191T's monitors. I use my 21" Sony CRT's, but I would really like to buy some of those six hundred dollar monitors (Two of those cool tempurature Samsungs would be more valuable than what I paid for ALL my puters')

#22     Sep 4, 2005
  3. You can buy used Computers and Warranty them through Radio Shack. Just buy more than one and have all of them set up to cover for each other, when one is in the shop, which is as close as the nearest Radio Shack Store. (You do not even need to purchase your computers at Radio Shack!)

I got real lucky once and one of my old Windows 98 Laptops was replaced as Radio Shack could not fix it. What a windfall!

Michael B.

P.S. They even replace Batteries and screens on Laptops!!

P.P.S. Radio Shacks Warranty Phone# (800) 433-5502

P.P.P.S. I never buy anything else at Radio Shack as they charge triple mark up for most everything. But this Warranty deal is a good one and convenient.

#23     Sep 4, 2005
  4. #24     Sep 4, 2005
  5. Used:

http://www.pcsurplusonline.com/

I prefer my local companies that sell off their old stuff however...(just call them for less than 10 cents on the dollar deals)

Michael B.

P.S. You would be surprised how many companies in your local area would just give their old equipment away! But, Ironically would never offer it to their employee's.

P.P.S. There is a guy in "The Denver Trading Group" that occassional sells 21" Sony's for one hundred bucks each...

#25     Sep 4, 2005
  6. What's the point of running a CAD-specific laptop for trading? Yeah, I can see that X_Trader requires some intense visualization :p

#26     Sep 4, 2005
  7. CAD (and gaming) boxes are very CPU intensive with all their rendering.

Maria.

#27     Sep 4, 2005
  8. I have a Dell 670 workstation with dual CPU's and 3 gigs of RAM and with a 30% off coupon, I think it is a great computer that has handled anything I've tried so far, for a very good price.

#28     Sep 4, 2005
  9. gnome

gnome

Unless you are running software with big horsepower requirements (in which case, you'd already know).... ANY Athlon or P4 class machine with 512-1GB RAM will be plenty for trading applications.

I spent about $500 on my newest P4 rig... it runs about a dozen apps, 4 LCDs, a TV tuner, and the RAM/CPU are not taxed in the slightest.

More power would just be overkill. However, if I were looking into a new rig today, I'd be sure to check out the new dual-core CPUs... tests have shown them to be "significantly better" at multi-tasking.

#29     Sep 4, 2005
  10. If you're gonna skimp out on any part of your system make sure you don't do it with the monitors!

Get at least two sharp clear monitors, compare them side by side if you can when buying. Contrast and response time are not as important for trading as clarity and sharpness. Make sure the viewing angle is wide and the screen is evenly lit from all angles that you'd be using it from.

I'm using two 17" Samsungs and will upgrade to two 21" when I can.

#30     Sep 5, 2005