Best off the shelf trading PC ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tradewise, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Right, forget Baron's Workstation Guide for particulars like this until he gets the time to update it.

Stay here in Baron's Hardware Forum for the latest, up-to-date workstation expertise
    from traders able to keep up with the latest technology.

#11     Aug 25, 2005
  2. If a separate PC is available to run CQG on, then why not do that. Keep the trading PC clean with just TT, an antivirus program and MS Office. Remove the browser button and just use Windows Update to get your updates. It is really worth it to keep your PC headache-free and running efficiently.

#12     Aug 25, 2005
  3. My $0.02:

In addition to the computer, give strong consideration to the other elements of your setup:

UPS
    Dual data feeds if you use the 'net via dual wan router
    Virus and spyware protection
    Back up system software, data and a protocall to do this. THe most important should be done daily.
    Protecting the backup data from flaws in the main computer, eg back up on a removeable HD or similar
    Keep software and drivers up to date
    Back up computer for when (not if) your primary fails

Well, I think you know where I'm coming from. I've experienced enough, "Sh.. happens" events to realize a good computer is only part of the system you need. Also, IMO you should have at least two accounts for trading as these have failures and interruptions also.

DS

#13     Aug 25, 2005
  4. #14     Aug 25, 2005
  5. #15     Sep 3, 2005
  6. If you are serious and trading real money get a good professional box. I use Dell M670 and a M70 laptop as a portable.

These are the cheapest box's i would recommend.

These cheap gaming and/or piker box's are for those that want to play around.

You can paper trade with anything.

#16     Sep 3, 2005
  7. If you are serious and trading real money get a good professional box. I use Dell M670 and a M70 laptop as a portable.

These are the cheapest box's i would recommend.

These cheap gaming and/or piker box's are for those that want to play around.

You can paper trade with anything.

#17     Sep 3, 2005
  8. i always had great reliability with HP's so all my new systems are P4 HT chipped Pavilion's --- good price and exceptional reliability for all the years i have used HP's.

#18     Sep 3, 2005
  9. You do not specify what you specifically want to do with it, neither do you specify all the software you want to use at the same time.

What you are asking is far too generic to give any sensible reply too. A lot depends on the indicators & charts you have up at the same time.

For instance if you use 1-2-3-5 minute bars in a commodity that sees 1000 trades per day then you can use the oldest and lowest spec'd clonker you can find. But if you want to use tick charts, have inefficient software like tradestation 2000i and want to have more than one chart up in the ES / NQ / EUR-USD / ER2 / YM then the highest spec'd machine won't be good enough. It will become rapidly worse if you decide to use longer period weighted moving averages.

Any answer given here is just a stab in the dark and totally worthless without knowing your trading setup.

Dad used to be fond of IBM and we still have IBM machines but the replacement of those won't be IBM's. They seem to have gone down the tube since being sold to China. Repairs are substandard, software support seems to have disappeared and finding any new models on the web is next to crazy. Must be all the PWC consultants that they brought onboard, they are good at wrecking any company they get a handle on.

I must say that we share the same opinion of nononsense: if you cannot max out your PC then you do not know what you are doing.

Just my $ 0.02

Maria

#19     Sep 4, 2005
  10. #20     Sep 4, 2005