Best longer term short ideas

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by gimp570, Feb 26, 2010.

1. gimp570

gimp570

I would like to here peoples longer term short ideas?

a couple i think might be great shorts are

MCO

THC

could both be 0 in years to come

2. Lang

Lang

Before you try to short THC please read the following article:

http://seekingalpha.com/article/190592-tenet-healthcare-tops-estimates-as-revenues-rise

And regarding Moody's? MCO is already depressed by the news of potential lawsuits. There is little-to-no suprise news downside on this equity. Do you feel like the global economy is going to grind to a complete halt? That would be one of the only ways that I would want to even consider a short on this item.

If anything, both of those stocks have good potential for long-term investments.

Before you trade, make sure that you do full due dilegence.

3. Lang

Lang

4. Hedge22

Hedge22

Good topic, but please post a little commentary with your picks.

Barnes & Noble - I just don't see them being around in a few years for a number of reasons. 1) more people are shifting towards buying physical books online through Amazon. 2) The Kindle/iPad will help shift books sales online, which Barnes will miss out on 3) even if people continue to want to buy physical books in person Walmart/Target/Sears has been in a price war selling $10 books. That means there isn't much of a compelling reason for consumers to use Barnes and Noble.

Sure, someone will bring up the Nook, but I dont see any way that it can compete with the Kindle and the iPad plus the slew of new tablet devices that will follow.

Palm - I have been short this stock for a while. The smart phone market is just too competitive and Palm doesn't offer anything special enough. Even if a smartphone has a new feature, it is at most a couple months ahead of the competition. Elevation Partners could prop this company up though, so I don't see it at zero anytime soon. There are also the constant buy out rumors to deal with.

5. I kick myself for not scoping out WTW earlier on. Who diets during a recession???

6. The fascination with short-selling is itself.............fascinating.

Could be zero? Could be a lot of .............prices.

Is shorting a 5 dollar stock worthwhile?

Five bucks is the threshold for institutional "accepibility"

Assuming THC (not to be confused with the active ingredient in female marijuana plants) goes to zero, why that's a whopping 100%. A one-bagger

Chances of the stock being cancelled (zero) is what? THC's been around for 35+ years. Have YOU?

I would suggest THC will eventually have it's day in the sun (again). It's not institutionally saturated and price to revenue a mere point two seven. Dirt cheap from a fundamental standpoint. Medical reform is in the limelight.

And EVERY share is held by somebody.

Given the attached chart, where/when THC should have been shorted?

• thc.jpg
      File size:
      75.3 KB
      Views:
  7. gimp570

gimp570

your bks short sounds convicing

8. Short things making a breakout + a few red bars.
    but purely shorting things for profit on a long term is not a good deal
    Being in the market automatically provides risk premia, you don'tw ant to be on the other side of it.

9. Short BC WGO LNY self explanatory

10. Catalite

Catalite

I don't see the benefit of a long-term short in stocks. Maybe you can make 100% over a long time period on a couple of stocks, but most don't go down that far. In a rising market it makes sense to be long, with a few hedges if you are really risk averse. A short will never triple in value. The short-trading strategies I've seen only work in downward trending markets. And they are TRADING strategies, not short-and- forget strategies. Most take profits in the 30-35% area and then look for another entry in a counter-trend rally.

From a market timing standpoint, it is extremely unlikely to have a significant (over 30%) decline in the stock market within four years of a crash (ie. 2008 decline).

#10     Mar 2, 2010