Best long plays: Oil, gold, corn, sugar, cotton, soybeans

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by BrandNewTrader, Jul 1, 2006.

1. WOW....I fell awful...You really told me. Calling me all those names really hurt my feelings. When you call me a loser, just keep this in mind, The last two days, I likely made more trading than you made at your job all year long. I am such a loser!

Now to address your post,

Here's what I said:

"Nearly everyone I talk to who is working the 9 to 5....grinding it out, dreams about doing what I do. I am a TRADER. The upsided is unlimited, the downside is limited. I call my own shots, do what I want, when I want, with whom I want, and damn near as much as I want. You can't beat that."

I know many of you have a hard time writing a coherent sentence, and putting together a paragraph can be a real challenge, but I always thought that being able to read and understand a simple paragraph was something we accomplished by the end of 2nd grade. Apparently NOT!

Program reading question: Where in that paragraph, did I BRAG about working at a prop firm?

#61     Jul 4, 2006
  2. I think we have an alcohol related thread.....

how about you guys take your stuff outside..........

#62     Jul 4, 2006
  3. You trade a retail options account, which makes me wonder, Do you even know WTF you are talking about? What is your experience with professional trading? It is a fact that Successful professional traders make hundreds of thousands of dollars a year, and that isn't lucrative? Compared to what? Some of you guys on here need to qualify your opinion before giving it out.

#63     Jul 4, 2006
  4. What couldn't they get out of? The markets were fairly orderly that day....even that entire week.

#64     Jul 4, 2006
  5. say what?

The attacks had significant economic repercussions for the United States and world markets. The New York Stock Exchange, the American Stock Exchange and NASDAQ did not open on September 11 and remained closed until September 17. New York Stock Exchange (“NYSE”) facilities and remote data processing sites were not damaged by the attack, but member firms, customers and markets were unable to communicate due to major damage to the telephone exchange facility near the World Trade Center. When the stock markets reopened on September 17, 2001, after the longest closure since the Great Depression in 1933, the Dow Jones Industrial Average (“DJIA”) stock market index fell 684 points, or 7.1%, to 8920, its biggest-ever one-day point decline. By the end of the week, the DJIA had fallen 1369.7 points (14.3%), its largest one-week point drop in history. U.S. stocks lost $1.2 trillion in value for the week.

#65     Jul 4, 2006
  6. Got ourselves a real statistician here.

I actually traded, and was in quite a few positions. When stocks reopened, a 50 stock, was only down 3 bucks or so. The market itself only opened down 20 or so S&P points, one had plenty of time to rearrange their portfolio to catch the move south. The downward pressure continued for rest of the week, then we opened up 20 points the following week and never looked back.

#66     Jul 4, 2006
  7. This is actually funny. I'd be happy to make 20% of what mschey makes. I suspect his take home pay exceeds that of 50% of all CEOs.

Now, why would he want to get a "real" job?

funny ...

#67     Jul 5, 2006
  8. umm not sure where the "Prop Trader" thing came into discussion.

However, I use to trade the high flyers in 99/00 equites for a top Prop Firm. Then moved over to a privite firm trading Options.

I have since started to trade Commodities. One thing I can tell you is (except for the 8 month run in 99 in stocks) you can actually see trends in commodities. Not saying that stocks are not trending persa, but I have found it easyer to identify a trend in Commodities. Now, the hard part is Risk. Risk managment is key in Commodities because one move can kill ur margin. (if you like me and trade on margin).

To be honest, I'm new to commodities but have traded "markets" for about 7 years. Economic news, weather and international political situations seem to play heavy-er on Commodities than say equities...IMHO. But trend is definitly ur friend in GOLD, OIL, METALS and CORN...(the whole ethenal thing...if you have a Bloomberg Term, key in ur search for Hedgefunds/Funds and see that a few are moving into corn positions.) Not sure how the whole Enthenal thing will play out...im not in it...just watching it from a distance.

#68     Jul 5, 2006
  9. not everyone is a member of the lucky sperm club and have to start somewhere...

chances are you just work some mcjob and act like a somebody on the forums...

#69     Jul 6, 2006