Best Laptop & Smartphone combination?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 377OHMS, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Can you post a screenshot of a speedtest on your VZ phone at 25Mbit?

#21     Sep 23, 2011
  2. I can in a few days. I'm on a plane flying out to Georgia in a minute and not confident I'll be in a 4G area again till Monday.

#22     Sep 23, 2011
  3. good luck with that, i been all over NJ and 4g lte is <10mb/sec max but it might be worth it to drive next to a cell tower just so you can say i won a debate against atticus :p

Top speed doesnt matter, 2mb vs 20mb dl makes little difference for regular trading/surfing it's more about maintaining a stable connection, and that depends entirely on your location/area as providers' coverage vary based on location. The best phone with 50mb/sec speed but unstable data coverage is still a shitty phone. So all this is moot. Att is crap here across nyc, speed is good but it constantly resets your data/drop calls, verizon is much more stable but mostly runs 3g not 4g lte, in nyc att is very good.

OP, for laptop there is no reason to get anything except macbook air or macbook pro 15 (depends on your need), they are much nicer than any other pc laptop, can dual boot win7 64bit no problem, similarly priced, and you get the bonus of falling in love with mac osx :) I would also just buy a laptop usb dongle for mobile hotspot and cheap $30 gsm phone for oversea use vs locking yourself to gsm only phones in usa...unless you travel overseas very frequently.

#23     Sep 24, 2011
  4. 377OHMS

377OHMS

It is interesting that people keep mentioning Iphone and Mac Laptops. I'm really going to consider those.

I haven't really used any Apple product since...those litte Mac SE computers that showed up around 1987-88.

Yeah, gonna consider going Apple, maybe waiting for the IP5 and getting a really nice Apple laptop. What the hell. :D

#24     Sep 24, 2011
  5. Read-up on Thunderbolt as a device-interface. Macbooks are the ultimate computer for audio as well. Bit-perfect optical transport if you're into music.

My MBP with hard-drive boots OSX in <15 seconds. With SSD it's <6 seconds.

Here's the current MB Air line: http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook_air/select?mco=MjMzOTQxMjE

#25     Sep 24, 2011
  6. iprph90

iprph90

I am posting these reviews from pc magazine and cnet of the toshiba portege.

I am a value oriented consumer and @ a 40% discount to the mac air plus more features...to me this is a no-brainer.

I have nothing against apple...both my kids have apple laptops, but I am against willy- nilly accepting the status quo.

". And the Portege beats out the more expensive MacBook Pro on battery life (topping 7 hours), while offering some step-up features (USB 3.0, eSATA ports, integrated DVD drive) not found in many competing models in this weight and size class."

Read more: http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/toshiba-portege-r835-p70/4505-3121_7-34850357.html#ixzz1Ytm46ooL

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2383651,00.asp#fbid=Zqi1H_86uPn

Cisco Cheng Cisco Cheng
    Lead Analyst, Laptops and Tablet PCs

For a ultra portable laptops beauty and style are just as important as computing power. Sometimes even more important. The focus has been that of razor-thin, seductive frames, at the cost of speed, features, and price. Yes, I'm talking to you two—Apple MacBook Air 13-inch ($1,299 direct, 4 stars) and Samsung Series 9 (NP900X3A) ($1,650 list, 4 stars). There is one ultraportable, however, that doesn't let style get in the way of performance. The Toshiba Portege R835-P50X ($888.99 list at Best Buy) isas stylish as its cracker-thin competitors, but costs a lot less and performs like an ultraportable should. For these reasons, it receives the Editors' Choice in the ultraportable category.

#26     Sep 24, 2011
  7. Eight

Eight

Apple enhances the experience, the rest play catch up trying to have more "tech"... Apple upgrades the tech to enhance the experience, not just to have tech... and they build a high quality product, something that very nearly everybody else in the USA simply will not do unless they have government oversight.. But business apps rarely run on an Apple..

Somebody will come up with a service that is very cheap to port software from windoz to OS X and then Macs will rule!!

#27     Sep 24, 2011
  8. Thunderbolt.... 2-channels at 10Gbps per. Twice as fast as USB3. Video and/or data.

http://www.apple.com/thunderbolt/

#28     Sep 25, 2011
  9. rsi80

rsi80

Could you care to elaborate?

#29     Sep 26, 2011
  10. I travel most of the time and trade from my Notebook and Android.

I trade thro the charting software Quotetracker /TOS and sometimes thro the TOS & Td Ameritrade App from my Nexus-s phone.(bought with out contract)( automatic update and not dependent on carrier for updates!)

I live in GSM area and travel also with in Asia (GSM) (India,Singapore, Hong kong and UK & China).

I have 2 permanent mobile GSM no's(business+family)(all pre paid /no contarct which stays in a cheap double sim phone-2 to 3 days battery power)

Android battery is max 4 to 5 hours if you run TD AM/TOS ,yahoo finance or google finance app/browser thro 3G/4G.

Nexus-S Android carries a 3G sim -used for mails/data/twitter/browsing etc and not for voice+sms
    ( I have couple of 3G sim's depending on the pre paid data deals by 2 or 3 operators ) and a GSM unlocked Data card (7.2 mbps card not more us$ 30-40 Huawei E175o)

I uses Nexus-S (2.3.4) also to tether/connect notebook to internet (fast with in seconds) up to 3-4 hours ( It can work for long hours too with out heating but cheap data card can do the job instead of spoiling the expensive phone)

Since you live in States most of the time ,get a android from any US carrier which is international and unlocked so that you can insert local gsm sim where you go.
    Roaming data is expensive-I get pre paid data sim in Hong kong and singapore ,china etc and insert it in to my data card or phone and not use my native country sim.
    If you stay extended in a different country ,getting local data sim and inserting in to your android/data card will save you a bundle.

#30     Sep 28, 2011