Best Laptop & Smartphone combination?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 377OHMS, Sep 22, 2011.

1. 377OHMS

377OHMS

Ok, please explain lol. :)

I have an HTC Kaiser (ATT Tilt) and I bought an app called Bandswitch that allows me to control what the phone is using to connect.

I can select GSM (Edge) or UTMS (3G) or Auto. People get this app so they can leave the phone on GSM which greatly extends the battery. Using 3G really draws the battery down quick. Bandswitch also cuts down on dropped calls because the phone isn't auto-switching between GSM and UTMS. I just turn on 3G when I need fast internet.

I've noticed the data rates for internet access are pretty slow using GSM/Edge but it does work.

Could you explain your comment 'bout GSM? Thanks atticus.

#11     Sep 23, 2011
  2. He's suggesting VZ when you stated GSM. It's like suggesting a windows laptop to run OSX. GSM is TDMA and Verizon is CDMA.

#12     Sep 23, 2011
  3. The Tilt is dogsh*t. 3G under a more recent phone will offer better d-load speeds (~1Mbit), but you can get 4G through AT&T. AT&T's 4G has arguably better throughput that non-GSM 4G networks.

#13     Sep 23, 2011
  4. This is the bandwidth test (not terribly reliable) of an AT&T Nokia E71x (JoikuSpot app on the E71x) tethered under 3G to a 2011 macbook air with TWS running in the background:

[​IMG]

#14     Sep 23, 2011
  5. 377OHMS

377OHMS

Agree, the Tilt sucks. I'm looking for a very good 4G phone and then for a decent laptop.

#15     Sep 23, 2011
  6. The Motorola Droid Bionic beats the Samsung Galaxy SII hands down.

Verizon cleans ATT's clock for speed and price. Speeds are better w/Verizon and data is less when you include the Hotspot and tethering.

Internationally, you only need to add a Sim.

Laptops are a toss up. Compact but at least an i5 or i7 with 8GB of RAM and a SSHD. Windows 7 64bit is a must. ASUS has a great international warranty.

#16     Sep 23, 2011
  7. Can you stop talking out of your ass? I can't understand you.

AT&T showed off its LTE 4G network performing wicked fast with 28.87 megabits per second downloads and 10.4 Mbps uploads in a supposed “real world” scenario, reports GigaOm, which got an exclusive look at the network this week at AT&T’s Foundry innovation space in Texas.

In comparison, Verizon advertises download speeds between 5 Mbps and 12 Mbps, and upload speeds of around 5 Mbps, for its LTE 4G network.

AT&T's AWS spectrum kicks the shit out of Verizon. I get 7Mbit out of my UTMS modem on my Dell laptop, and VZ gets the same speeds out of LTE?!

#17     Sep 23, 2011
  8. Don't get an HTC Incredible 2 from VZ. Its a world phone, but its mediocre at best. Maybe consider a Droid 3 world compatible. VZ supposedly has best coverage in US, and you could most likely get the phone unlocked in EU. Not sure on laptop.

#18     Sep 23, 2011
  9. AT&T is more costly that VZ, sure, but their coverage is better and no rigging a intl sim overseas. I have no love for AT&T but the network (architecture) is a lot better.

Use your Tilt until the GII 4G comes out or wait until Nov for the IP5. I have a 3G Captivate running 2.3 and the IP4 and I usually leave the android at home. Both are more than adequate for your needs, but 4G is here on android.

#19     Sep 23, 2011
  10. Sorry I was speaking from the point of an actual user with 4G cell phones from both vendors here in NJ. I've been testing the Bionic on both services for the last week and Verizon clearly wins. I'm pulling over 25 Mbps downloads w/Verizon on 4G so some Texan has been smoking too much cow poop.

I could care less what propaganda either company puts out. I dislike both ATT & Verizon. I'm only interested in results.

#20     Sep 23, 2011