Best laptop for trading (with Tradestation)

Discussion in 'Order Execution' started by Andrea Wylan, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Andrea Wylan

Andrea Wylan Sponsor

#11     Jun 11, 2020
  2. Andrea Wylan

Andrea Wylan Sponsor

Thanks I will attempt this later tonight.

#12     Jun 11, 2020
  3. Metamega

Metamega

If your running windows then the built in defender is sufficient. 3rd party anti-virus don’t always play well with everything. If it’s trying to scan files that data are stored in or being updated it just slows down.

#13     Jun 11, 2020
    comagnum likes this.
  4. comagnum

comagnum

I have not used an AV or Spyware program running in real-time for over two decades now - never been hacked. Plenty of TS 'power users' are doing the same. As long as you have a fairly modern router you should be fine.

This is what TS recommends (best practices), if your want to run an AV or Spyware program than make sure it is not scanning any of the TS folders.

TS best practices:

Running TradeStation with antivirus software
    The Antivirus software installed on a machine running TradeStation could be scanning and monitoring all activity in the computer including filtering TCP/IP traffic, hard drive reads and writes, etc. To avoid conflicts and performance degradation when running the TradeStation platform, make sure that the folders, IPs and ports used by TradeStation are excluded from being blocked or scanned. Complete information regarding IPs and ports that need to be easily reached can be found in this link: Running TradeStation behind Firewalls.

Running TradeStation with spyware software
    Computers connected to the Internet may be adversely affected by spyware. Spyware competes for Internet bandwidth and may affect TradeStation’s performance. To avoid degradation in the performance of the TradeStation platform due to spyware, regularly check the computer with anti-spyware applications to make sure it is not infected.

I used to work for large Telco's/ISPs - about 80% of all problems reported with apps running poorly are caused by AV or Spyware,
    or were computers already infected with a virus or trojan.

#14     Jun 11, 2020
  5. Mashed

Mashed

It could be your internet too. Try plugging in Ethernet instead of using wifi?

#15     Jun 12, 2020
  6. jbusse

jbusse

Thank you. What max temperature is OK? I'm getting readings of ~98 degrees for package and from 80-100 on the cores.

#16     Jun 12, 2020
  7. kinglion

kinglion

Thats too much. Literally your PC is boiling.

Up to 70-80 Celsius is ok under load.
    30 to 40 on idle.

#17     Jun 12, 2020
    jbusse likes this.
  8. jbusse

jbusse

Thank you. It slows down at times, and I've wondered why, so this helps.

I load real time data for 1,000 stocks into Excel (1,000 rows x 10 columns), run 2-4 Matlab programs, two IB trader workstations, and a web browser.

Any suggestions on how to cool it down? Add a heat sink?

It's not a cheap laptop: Dell Precision 7730, Xeon w/ 6 cores, 64 GB Ram.

#18     Jun 12, 2020
  9. kinglion

kinglion

Get yourself an Laptop Fan, you place your laptop on that fan and it should bring your Temps down.

I know it's not the best solution but you could buy an PC.

#19     Jun 12, 2020
    jbusse likes this.
  10. jbusse

jbusse

Perfect, thanks a lot! I'll order one today.

#20     Jun 12, 2020