best language for quantiative finance? C, D, Fortran,python etc.

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by Batman28, Jun 1, 2006.

which language..

1. C, C++, C#

40 vote(s)
    38.1%
  2. Python

17 vote(s)
    16.2%
  3. Delphi

6 vote(s)
    5.7%
  4. Java

12 vote(s)
    11.4%
  5. Pascal

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  6. C#

11 vote(s)
    10.5%
  7. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Perl

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  9. other

9 vote(s)
    8.6%
  10. your own..

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. hey gerry,

Indeed, I didn't realize that a Londoner these days would still advance fossilized arguments like APL, Beta & VHS in arguing about 2006 software tools. Thank ya for telling me about this. I couldn't have imagined these details by myself.

So gerry, after all, my general impression about your professional environment wasn't that much of the mark. Keep on trying like Young Mister Grace.

#21     Jun 1, 2006
  2. Are you off your medication or something? You really have not understood anything that you have read in this thread. Keep on talking through your sphincter.

Try shagging more often.
    HTH :D

#22     Jun 1, 2006
  3. You need to rephrase the question to achieve the proper answer.

My answer, however would be C++/Python(model rendering)

#23     Jun 1, 2006
  4. nbates

nbates

Unlike others, I'm not religious about the language I use for programming and there aren't many I haven't developed in and with some of the most popular ones had the opportunity to write parsers, interpreters, compilers, assemblers, disassemblers, cross-compilers, debuggers and other language tools.

I am however, religious about CPU processor architecture and there is NO DOUBT in my mind the Motorola 68000+ is the most advanced CISC in existence! But, like the VHS/Beta scenario I'm sophisticated enough to realize the market today is Intel.

I still prefer Assembly, but these new compilers sure are sweet and the optimization they perform, in many and most cases, rival what can be done manually - especially when you consider Intel's C++ compiler and profile-guided optimization (PGO) techniques.

Anyone here remember BLISS, the basic language interface to system services? A beautiful language, powerful and easy to learn and use, generating the sweetest code by just wrapping a little ASM around direct system service calls to the OS.

Ah, the reminiscence :)

#24     Jun 1, 2006
  5. range

range

I am not advocating a particular language. I did a search on Wilmott by languages, and came up with these numbers of hits for job postings:
    C++ 43 (not my language)
    Java 27
    C# 4
    Delphi 1
    C+, pascal, perl, python, Fortran, APL (just kidding) 0

#25     Jun 1, 2006
  6. It's a complete reminiscence of the 90s... They have become so dependent on C and VB that they cannot escape anymore.

#26     Jun 1, 2006
  7. nitro

nitro

Any C++ programmer worth his salt can pick up Python or any of the languages listed in a week. Computer Science is not about programming languages, but about abstractions. A language is just a syntax to implement those abstractions.

Many of the theoreticians that I know at Citadel use Python and Matlab to prototype. If the system is viable, they either port it to C++ for production, or it is given to the professional programmers to implement in C++.

nitro

#27     Jun 1, 2006
  8. nbates

nbates

nitro, best post so far.

-imho

#28     Jun 1, 2006
  9. rosy

rosy

I know they use perl, matlab, c++. Most quant jobs want you to know c++ (not at a developer level) and the libraries are usually accessible via perl/python. Java and C# are used for IT. if you are delegated to an IT dept. then quit and get a job on a trading desk.

#29     Jun 1, 2006
  10. can i also ask since so many of you have all this programming talent, is anyone here actually a professional 'quant'? i mean u seem to have good programming skills and financial knowlegdge, so what are you waiting for? they pay such a good money?

can u tel me why u'r not applying to any of those jobs? thanks

#30     Jun 1, 2006