best language for quantiative finance? C, D, Fortran,python etc.

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by Batman28, Jun 1, 2006.

which language..

1. C, C++, C#

40 vote(s)
    38.1%
  2. Python

17 vote(s)
    16.2%
  3. Delphi

6 vote(s)
    5.7%
  4. Java

12 vote(s)
    11.4%
  5. Pascal

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  6. C#

11 vote(s)
    10.5%
  7. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Perl

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  9. other

9 vote(s)
    8.6%
  10. your own..

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. C & C++ are shit languages. Want a proof of it ? Banks are using it...

Better go for perl or python.

Otherwise, Matlab allows a quicker implementation.

#11     Jun 1, 2006
  2. i don't get it, theyr' shit profe - banks are using it? well they're the ones spending so much money on the best out there - so surely they must have sommmmmmmmme advantages? i don't understand if it's so clear why are banks paying so much money for c++ programmers?

is it the speed?

#12     Jun 1, 2006
  3. can you tell me which tools, languages?

and what language do u use?

#13     Jun 1, 2006
  4. You said the very same thing not too long ago in another ET thread - I am not aware of any wholesale quant firing - especially in London. Me thinks you are referring to TA departments (or something entirely different).
    Yeah, C/C++ are shit languages, yet your favourite OS is written in them - is it not?

Dude, which was the better technology, VHS or Beta? Who won? Hmm...

Hey, maybe APL is best :confused: for F's sakes, but you won't see many jobs asking for that skill.

In addition, its a macho quant thing. The interviews do not test your programming knowledge, rather your knowledge of C++'s dustier corners. Feel free to attend an interview and call the interviewing manager a moron for asking those questions - because he/she probably is. These are the sort of people you are dealing with, and the sort of people who decide who gets hired and what language they use.

Finally, look here
    http://www.wilmott.com/categories.cfm?catid=5
    C++ is the order of the day if you want a quant job.

HTH :cool:

PS. I am not arguing with you re Python. Its cool - I also like Ruby. So what? Its just not widely spread in quant fin - for whatever reason.

#14     Jun 1, 2006
  5. 1). You are right. So what? Banks.
    2). Quants in general think highly of themselves. Highly paid bank jobs. The closer to front office, the higher the perception of one's intelligence - by themselves that is.
    3). Again Banks.

Lets not confuse what is right, with what actually happens in the real world.

If Batman28's plan is to dick around with quant code for fun he can write it in COBOL for all I care. If he wants a quant job it will have to be C++ in the majority of cases (+ fin knowledge, + stoch calculus, + numerical solution of PDEs, etc, depending on the job). It might not be right, but that is how it is.

#15     Jun 1, 2006
  6. equalizer what's PDE?

and why aint you a quant? don't u want to be one?

they might be paid well and think highly of themselves, but as far as i know, or my perception is, they're some of the biggest losers in life - GENERALLY. they live life without living and just die like a goat. it's such a waste of time. is life as a quant not the saddest profession?

thanks

#16     Jun 1, 2006
  7. I don't know about London but to me, they seem to have become rather uncompetitive & fossilized with their "oldboys" staffing habits. Your VHS, Beta and APL nonsense is probably much appreciated by "upper management" in London.

If you like to read about wholesale financial research firing, do a little effort. ET carried stories about a few prestigious US names. They probably knew something you don't know in London yet. Anyhow, I'm not in that business. I make money with computers and I'm pretty choosey about my tools.

What the heck is your kiddy argument worth of writing OS's in C++/C. Does this mean C++/C is also best for finance? Although the linux kernel is rightly written in C/C++, a lot of support programs in a typical distribution are actually written in Python and Perl.

Reason: plain old-fashioned ignorance.

#17     Jun 1, 2006
  8. PDEs = Partial Differential Equations.
    To be more exact, Stochastic PDEs.

#18     Jun 1, 2006
  9. Thats Gold Gerry! Bravo! You seem to have some opinions about something you openly admit you don't know above. Throw in some 'biggot' views and you're done. Nice.

Sounds like pure BS to me.

I am not even touching your tools :p

You love to twist things. If you bothered to read and understand my post you'd realise that I never once said C++ was the best language to use in finance. It simply is the language of choice in QUANT FIN by the vast majority working in the field. And yeah, I like Python and Ruby.

Accept it. Get over it and move on.

And yes, C/C++ are shit languages, but some cool shit has been written with them, like the Linux kernel as you correctly point out.

Once again for the cognitively dissonant amongst us, C/C++ are IMHO shite languages, and there are much better ones out there for many programmimg tasks. However, stiff shit. C++ remains the language of choice in that particular field, whether you like it or not. Knowledge of it is necessary even for senior positions like this one:
    http://www.wilmott.com/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadid=38953

You can call the hiring managers ignorant, but thats what it is. Get over it and enjoy your Python coding and trading.

#19     Jun 1, 2006
  10. still? interesting.

#20     Jun 1, 2006