best language for quantiative finance? C, D, Fortran,python etc.

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by Batman28, Jun 1, 2006.

which language..

1. C, C++, C#

40 vote(s)
    38.1%
  2. Python

17 vote(s)
    16.2%
  3. Delphi

6 vote(s)
    5.7%
  4. Java

12 vote(s)
    11.4%
  5. Pascal

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  6. C#

11 vote(s)
    10.5%
  7. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Perl

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  9. other

9 vote(s)
    8.6%
  10. your own..

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. segv

segv

Without any doubt, C++ is currently the standard.

-segv

2. lastick

lastick

C, C++
    Java, C#

would have been better.

3. wait - I voted c# but choice number one has C# and C flavors. So it is there twice.....bad POLL~

4. Yeah but which one? Unix or MS???

5. segv

segv

Sorry, I do not follow. The C++ language is a standard. There are multiple implementations of C++ for MS and UNIX-like operating systems. Are you asking something else?

-segv

6. C/C++. Just check any quant job listings, better yet, go to an interview. Any knowledge of XLL development (its ugly, but its used) is a bonus if you are looking for a job in the field.

Then again most people here don't know what a quant does.

7. Aren't these those guys that get fired wholesale?

Today, I would never put to work a guy swearing by C++/C for scientific programming. It's the clearest indication that he is at least 10 years out of date in programming tool know-how.
    Would you pay for a guy to do a job that is going to cost you 5 to 10 times more programming time fiddling around with C++/C?

Of course, certain tasks definitely require C++/C. Not scientific/mathematical programming for those who know they way around today's superb choice in libraries as with Python. Overmore, if you're in Python, going back & forth between C is child's play - you won't probably need this though.

8. nonsense, equalizer actually makes a point, every quant job ive seen asks for c++ or java.. why not python if they know the real deal?

9. nonsense is right. I'm not sure about python, but coding complex problems in c/c++ is going to be expensive, error prone, huge development time, etc.

There are advanced tools/languages/algorithms now that do the grunt-work for you, and coding C/C++ is grunt work, plain and simple, unless you are one of the few rare geniuses/masochists.

Some of the stuff used in scientific computing is pretty neat. Writing algorithms to write other algorithms, solver code generation, etc

#10     Jun 1, 2006