Best Job to Have While Saving Capital, Learning

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by tomski, Apr 15, 2008.

1. How can one get a job as a technical support guy?

#21     Apr 16, 2008
  2. maxpi

maxpi

Become a technically supportive person of course!

Probably some Microsoft certfication program or tech school would help a lot..

I've heard that parking cars, if done in the right location, can be quite a good mainstay job and is part time and mostly evenings.

#22     Apr 16, 2008
  3. SH_DW

SH_DW

Yes! This is the way I did it! I studied engineering.. when I discovered the markets I immediately quit all work during "bankers hours" in order to study the markets real time. You need to live it +breathe it!

Cut your costs, live frugally, think independently.. build a small stake, while testing ANY idea you have thoroughly. Be willing to accept that no matter how smart you are OR think you are the markets can +WILL teach you lessons.. sooo, cut your losses, let profits run as long as your criteria remain the same, take profits off the table at extreme points and DONT rely on technical analysis alone!

Be original! Play POKER, learn how to walk away when things aren't going well, practice, practice, practice!

Mh

PS. Repeat after me.. money management, money management..

#23     Apr 16, 2008
  4. You have nailed it BF. Best advice I have read.
    If you want to train on replays in the evening you will become a Chartist.
    Your only hope of becoming a Trader is to absorb every moment of the live markets.

If you do not know a Chartist from a Trader then you are a Chartist.

regards
    f9

#24     Apr 16, 2008
  5. Another option which I haven’t seen mentioned yet is to trade the Asian markets at night after work. There are several tradable index futures trading between 7pm and midnight CST: Japan, Taiwan, Australia, Hong Kong. If your stake is small, take a look at the mini Nikkei 225 or the Taiwan futures, lots of volume and substantial movement most nights.

This is what I do and I have made significant progress over the past 6 months since I started; it’s amazing how much the market teaches you when you trade your hard earned money live.

I think trading Asia is the best option if you have a day job in the US that pays too much to walk away from while you’re still in the learning stage. Build up your resume (safety net), build up your stake, build up your strategy, build up your discipline, and then go full time in the US markets (where the opportunity is unparalleled) when the time is right.

#25     Apr 16, 2008
  6. maxpi

maxpi

What asian market do you trade? I've never looked at the HSI futures but I'm thinking about it. I got to where trading is fun and I want to get back to it in the evenings sometimes......

#26     Apr 16, 2008
  7. Who do you trade through?

#27     Apr 16, 2008
  8. trom

trom

Get a job at one of the many firms in Chicago and trade there.

Why trade your own money?

#28     Apr 16, 2008
  9. SH_DW

SH_DW

Hey filter_, I ddin't consider this.. great thought! D you use a US or Foreign broker? What is the margin on either the mini Nikkei225 or the Taiwan futures?

Mh

#29     Apr 16, 2008

10. didn't like the nkd, it has low volume and big slippage.

#30     Apr 16, 2008