Best Job to Have While Saving Capital, Learning

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by tomski, Apr 15, 2008.

1. tomski

tomski

haha. you're prob right. i hadn't been around the block enough to know what i can get away with though.

#11     Apr 15, 2008
  2. I'm a grain trader, and Cargill will teach uou how to trade, and pay you reasonably well to learn. I've known a dozen people who came from them and all make a decent buck trading grains. The grains ain't sexy, but people gotta eat, and grains won't go the way of some of the commercial paper out there. Plus, the grain crowd is the friendliest crowd one can trade with, You can also lease a seat at the MGEX for 70 bucks a month. I've got 5 seats leased out right now as a matter of fact.

#12     Apr 15, 2008
  3. tomski

tomski

I'd bet grains might become pretty sexy based on the price action at the supermarket lately and how energy and politics are changing the way people think about food.

this is really interesting. i'm definitely putting it on my list as one of my top options. i'm having a little trouble finding any positions on the cargill website. maybe it's not the hiring season for traders? the closest thing i found was trading accountant. it does not seem like exactly what you're describing. if possible, would you be able to point me in the right direction (perhaps via PM)? thanks!

#13     Apr 15, 2008
  4. Put on some dark shades, get a tin cup with some pencils and stand out on the corner. JC, how did you graduate from college?

#14     Apr 15, 2008
  5. Baywolf

Baywolf

Given your current financial situation, I would NOT trade with real money yet. If you even were able to save up say $30k for one account, it would probably be emotionally taxing on you. I know at least thats how it was for me initially. But because of my day job, I won't blink if I see ES run 1pt against me (think, 1pt ES is worth an hour of my time @ my day job). That said, paper trade until you feel comfortable switching over to your live account.

I have a desk job, so I can trade during trading hours if work is slow. Maybe you would consider this? When I get home I go straight to my algorithmic programming, and analyzing my trades of the day (very important).

Good luck job hunting, and don't sell yourself short. Also, if your going to trade at work, make sure you are running an SSH tunnel to your home network. :D

#15     Apr 16, 2008
  6. offshore drilling. I'm not kidding.

#16     Apr 16, 2008
  7. Swift trading is hands down the absolute best firm for you. If you enjoy trading and want to learn quick, then I suggest heading down to Swift Trade.

So many success stories out of Swift Trade.

#17     Apr 16, 2008
  8. #18     Apr 16, 2008
  9. i work at the top smartphone company as a technical support guy. basicaly i just go ahead and troubleshoot their "smartphones" fixing it up.

the reason why i took the job is to study more about the markets. i try not to get promoted as im comfortable with what my situation is. for trading orders i currently have a laptop by my side with a hspda card while i have my dual monitors for troubleshooting with customers on my technical job. basically im in front of the markets 12 hours a day. monitoring international movements

the work at my "part time" job is very light. the devices themselves arent too much of a bother and i set aside a small part of my efforts in learning all that stuff. the beta devices are perks as i get the new stuff to try out. my intermediates also know of my trading although they wish i would pay more attention to my technical job work.

all in all i love being a full time trader and a part time technical support helpdesk. it keeps me glued to the markets and know whats going on.

#19     Apr 16, 2008
  10. Cweixing

Cweixing

:)

#20     Apr 16, 2008