Best island or place to trade from?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Johan, Nov 20, 2010.

1. Again, appreciate your insights...Florida has been at the top of my list but i've recently started having some misgivings after doing some research. As much as I hate texas, I may have to seriously consider austin. Very nearly moved there 15 years ago and know its a great city.

With regard to Manhattan, i just finished living there for 10+ years. You are right -- you can absolutely live in Manhattan and have a decent lifestyle while making 100k+ or so. BUT, not if you have a family. That changes everything...bottom line. Trust me, i tried to figure out how to make that work and there is just no reasonable way. Only option is to move somewhere outside the city, where the cost/benefit rapidly deteriorates.

I would head to Pattaya but I'm not sure how my wife would feel about it...however, i will keep that card in my back pocket ;)

#21     Nov 21, 2010
  2. Many foreigners live there without problem or incident. Parts of Pattaya are truly nice and scenic. However, it is a 3rd world country and there are various scams that happen all the time. These incidents are widely publicized on the Thai news as they wish to set an example.

You have to watch yourself. If you offend anyone in government or make trouble, then the Royal police will find a way to come down on you. Some people are good at not pissing anyone off, while others seem to piss people off all the time. In the United States, you are given a pass when you piss the wrong people off, but in Thailand there are no such passes. There are plenty of Americans and Australians who are in the jungle prisons of Thailand for doing something.

One common thing is drugs. You do not want to be caught with drugs in Thailand or the penalties will be severe. Oftentimes, the police will throw down a weapon and state it was yours to increase the punishment coming to you

You do have gangs and organized crime...you do have drugs. There are political events that sometimes lead to government crackdowns where people get killed or you see a violent show of force. If you are an American, then you need to get to know a Thai lawyer as soon as you touch down. They will help you out.

So, while parts of Thailand are very nice and scenic, you have to still have that street sense about you. You can live nicely there so long as you know how to avoid trouble and do not cause trouble for anyone. If you can do that, then Thailand is a great place to be. It is not a first world country though and so trouble will probably come to you faster then it will back in your hometown in Australia or the states.

#22     Nov 21, 2010
  3. If you have family, then Austin is the place. Miami is filled with drugs and trouble-makers...not a good place to raise kids. Austin can be a little boring at times, but it is economically superior right not then any other place in the United States. Its boring nature would keep your kids out of trouble.

#23     Nov 21, 2010
  4. volente_00

volente_00

Check out Lake Conroe in Montgomery Texas. Small town feel but only a short drive to Houston if you feel the need for it.

Some of the top ranked public schools in Texas.

You can get a decent house on the lake for under 500k.

http://irec.lakeconroe.com/content.cfm?CF=45&search_id=114

#24     Nov 21, 2010
  5. volente_00

volente_00

Traffic sucks balls in Austin, try checking out Hutto, TX. It's a small suburb 22 miles northeast of Austin and one of the fastest growing areas in TX. There is a toll road that has been built that let's you bypass all the BS on I35.

#25     Nov 21, 2010
  6. spd

spd

As a native Houstonian, I advise against Houston, Conroe, The Woodlands, Galveston, or anything else near Houston. Maybe Im just jaded, but I feel as if that whole metro area is just lacking any sort of character and life. Everything is the same, there is nothing interesting anywhere.

I have lived all over the country, New Orleans, San Antonio, Minneapolis, Miami, Providence, Nashville, of all the places Ive called home Portland, OR has been my fav. I moved out of Houston when I was 19 and Ive liked every place more, save for New Orleans, that place is a shithole.

#26     Nov 21, 2010
  7. Pittsburgh.

#27     Nov 22, 2010
  8. Oh it's been a while you were there. West Palm is full of them now and Boca also.

#28     Nov 22, 2010
  9. What if i am old and want meet lots of chicks ?

#29     Nov 22, 2010
  10. LeeD

LeeD

Tailand is good. From my experience (only as a tourist) there are lots of expat retirees dataing (and living with) younger (often much younger) local women (and men). From what I heard accommodation is cheaper and food is massively cheaper if you like local food. Also great massage.

Best place to spend a few weeks or months is beach areas rather than Bangcock.

Others point out there are "issues".

I understand you have been interested in the subject. Do you have a few stories of how one can "offend anyone in government or make trouble"? I guess such event should involve more than saying a few rude words when drunk or having a loud argument when short-changed. Does this involve running a business in Thailand? Or getting into a fight?

#30     Nov 22, 2010