Best hedge against market drop

Discussion in 'Risk Management' started by levijean, Apr 28, 2016.

1. levijean

levijean

I want to hedge against a drop in the S&P from today vs. about 9 months from now. For every 1% drop from today, I want $1000 protection. So in approx. 9 months if the S&P is down 50% from today I need $50,000 coverage, if its down 10% from today i want $10,000 coverage, etc. What would give me the best protection for the least cost?

2. K-Pia

K-Pia

Buy an ATM option put ?
    But you would have to monitor,
    Since the option can lose in value ...
    Due to time erosion (Theta). The only risk.
    Well, some better experienced than me could answer.
    But I think an option put on the SPX or ES is the way to go.
    @Handle123 use to hedge his bets with option. He may help you.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  3. rmorse

rmorse Sponsor

All hedges have a cost. If I expected the market to drop more than10%, I would just sell out my portfolio.

dealmaker, piezoe and K-Pia like this.
  4. levijean

levijean

I'm not "expecting" a drop, its for insurance purposes. I dont expect my house to catch on fire or to get in a car accident...

murray t turtle likes this.
  5. OptionGuru

OptionGuru

The only way to hedge in a linear way as you posted is to sell $100,000 of XYZ.

:)

6. lindq

lindq

Exactly. Cash is a position. If a trader is concerned enough about the market to be paying high rates for protection, the trader should consider going partially or fully to cash.

7. lindq

lindq

Homeowners insurance is cheap. Portfolio insurance is not.

murray t turtle and rmorse like this.
  8. rmorse

rmorse Sponsor

How much do you expect your portfolio to rise over the next 12 months. How much of that are you willing to spend in insurance?

Also, I don't agree with your analogy. You don't have to be long the market, but you do need to live in a home and protect your investment.

9. maybe because markets go down more often than houses catch on fire?

10. levijean

levijean

I'm attempting to hedge a business venture, its not for an actual stock portfolio.

#10     Apr 28, 2016